Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: What colour shoes to wear...

[ QUOTE ]
5. Remember the laces of dress shoes lace so that the string makes horizontal lines, not the crisscross of most athletic shoelaces. Also, leather-soled shoes are dressier than rubber-soled ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Remember the laces of dress shoes lace so that the string makes horizontal lines, not the crisscross of most athletic shoelaces. Also, leather-soled shoes are dressier than rubber-soled ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I dont think that [censored] totally matters.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cordovan, but only if you are going to the boardroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

job interview
Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Here is what it said on a Professional Job Fair site:

Guidelines for Professional Dress

Dressing for a recruiting interaction, particularly the interview, is often different than what you would wear on the job. Employers are interested in gaining a sense of you as a professional. Dress is one way to enhance your professional image. How to dress often differs within career circles. If you are interviewing in the corporate field, dress in a conservative suit. This may change if you are interviewing for an “image” career, such as advertising, P.R., fashion merchandising, etc., where a “fashion statement” is not out of order. When in doubt, always lean toward the conservative. The following guidelines will help you dress for success.

Wear clothes that fit properly. If clothing is too tight, it will make you look larger. When you try on a garment, sit, bend, and stretch to test its comfort. Stay away from flashy or “loud” clothing as well.
Clothing is an investment so spend as much as you can afford on quality garments. Avoid trendy styles or fabrics that wrinkle. It is beneficial to go with something conservative that will stand the test of time.
Bulky knits, mohair, and wool tweeds make you look heavier and shorter. They’re also only good for a particular season. Buy a good suit that will last year-round. A store representative can help you with this.
Shoes show your status. Scuffed shoes can ruin a good outfit.
Business briefcases should be black or brown. Carry a briefcase/portfolio or a handbag, but not both.
Tips for Men

Suits: The best colors for suits are navy, medium blue, tan, and gray. The darker the color, the more power it ascribes. Black suits are reserved for formal occasions. Avoid brown suits as this color can look cheap.

Shirts: A solid white shirt is the number one choice with a suit. Pale blue is also acceptable. Avoid bright solid colors and patterns when wearing a suit and tie. Collars should be straight or spread for a more formal look. Button down collars can be used for a less conservative look. Cuffs should be snug, allowing for a watch to be worn. The shirtsleeve should fall a half an inch below the suit sleeve.

Ties: A tie is a man’s most important accessory as it is the only item with which to show personality. It should enhance your outfit, not overpower it. Ties should fall to the middle of your belt buckle. A bow tie is for formal wear only. Most patterns are acceptable. Avoid novelty patterns and designs.

Socks: Socks should always be worn over the calf so that if you cross your legs, all that is seen is the sock. They should also match your suit (i.e. navy socks with navy suit). A nylon or thin cotton sock is best for business.

Shoes: Shoes should be black, cordovan or dark brown. Black shoes are for gray or navy suits; brown shoes are for tan or beige suits. Cordovan can go with various suit colors. The color should never be lighter than the trouser. Leather is the only material appropriate for business. Shoes should be polished at all times.

Belt: Your belt should match the color of your shoes.

Jewelry: Watches can be gold, silver, or a good imitation with a leather watchband. Avoid thick digital sports watches. While wedding or signet rings are acceptable, do not wear earrings, nose rings, necklaces and bracelets.

Other: Being clean shaven and maintaining well-manicured nails are required for professional dress. Do not wear heavy cologne as the interviewer may either be allergic or have a negative reaction to the scent.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here you go

"Black shoes work best with navy"

Oh also, cordovan colored shoes:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The obvious answer is black.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I asked is that several people have told me not to wear black with navy. Are they wrong? Does it not apply to shoes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct

[/ QUOTE ]

They are correct, or I am correct in saying they are wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Black shoes are acceptable with navy. As opposed to say, black pants and a navy shirt.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Gold, thank you. Although I would never wear a button down collar with a tie.

On the clean shaven advice; I normally have a light beard. - I usually keep it trimmed to one or two on clippers, and keep my neck up to my chinline completely clean shaved. Should I shave it off for the interview? Normally I wouldn't even consider doing this for a job interview but I really really want this job. (Incidentally, most people I know, as well as myself, think I look a lot more handsome with the beard than without. But obviously less formal.).
Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Nicky - I think shave it off, and it's not that close. It's always better to err on the side of conservative for job interviews (I mean, this is obviously industry dependent but on-average, this is true). I personally wouldn't care if someone had a neatly-trimmed beard if interviewing someone (in fact, that just happened recently) but there's no accounting for taste [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As an aside, cordovan isn't a color, it's a leather. It's typically associated with reddish-brown or reddish-black, but cordovan shell leather can be dyed any color (e.g. I have a pair of black cordovan leather shoes from Church's). I donno when it came into popular usage as an actual color reference, or even if that's standard, though it seems like it prolly is.

-Al
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the clean shaven advice; I normally have a light beard. - I usually keep it trimmed to one or two on clippers, and keep my neck up to my chinline completely clean shaved. Should I shave it off for the interview? Normally I wouldn't even consider doing this for a job interview but I really really want this job. (Incidentally, most people I know, as well as myself, think I look a lot more handsome with the beard than without. But obviously less formal.).

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you mean by a "light beard". It also depends on the type of work (IT, design, sales, banking, etc), the particular office, and the people doing the hiring. Many non-gen-xers (say 40 y.o. and up) look on a "light beard" as scruffy and unshaven. In dealing with senior people in a large company, a full beard is preferable to a light beard.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nicky - I think shave it off, and it's not that close. It's always better to err on the side of conservative for job interviews (I mean, this is obviously industry dependent but on-average, this is true). I personally wouldn't care if someone had a neatly-trimmed beard if interviewing someone (in fact, that just happened recently) but there's no accounting for taste [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As an aside, cordovan isn't a color, it's a leather. It's typically associated with reddish-brown or reddish-black, but cordovan shell leather can be dyed any color (e.g. I have a pair of black cordovan leather shoes from Church's). I donno when it came into popular usage as an actual color reference, or even if that's standard, though it seems like it prolly is.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, stand corrected. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]