Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Looking to SERIOUSLY improve

[ QUOTE ]
focus on moving up a level 1 table at a time?

i don't think that tricky plays are the most important here

there's only so much 'reading' one can do at this level.. set a guy on a range of hands and raise or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you asked how to "seriously" get better. The best way to really get better at sit n' gos, in my mind, is to concentrate soley on a single table's action. I guess some people can do that while 8-tabling, but I have my doubts.

I guess the answer to the question really does depend on what you meant by "seriously" getting better. If you want to learn to play optimally (not necessarily optimal $/hour), I think the very best way to do that is by give one table your complete concentration. Once you've got that down, you can add more tables. Chances are you're no longer playing your very best poker then, though.

-Brass
Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Blah ... if you are desperate, then get a coach, else spend some time studying the game and playing it.

Most of us have paid our dues and worked hard, there is no quick fix.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

there's only so much 'reading' one can do at this level.. set a guy on a range of hands and raise or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the OP asked how to "seriously" get better. The best way to really get better at sit n' gos, in my mind, is to concentrate soley on a single table's action. I guess some people can do that while 8-tabling, but I have my doubts.

I guess the answer to the question really does depend on what the OP meant by "seriously" getting better. If you want to learn to play optimally (not necessarily optimal $/hour), I think the very best way to do that is by give one table your complete concentration. Once you've got that down, you can add more tables. Chances are you're no longer playing your very best poker then, though.

-Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I have become a much, much better player than what I was a few months ago, and have not played less than 6-tables at a time at any point. I think you improve faster by playing mutliple tables, up to a point, since you see soo many more situations.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no quick fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's really the most accurate answer for you OP
Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, the OP asked how to "seriously" get better. The best way to really get better at sit n' gos, in my mind, is to concentrate soley on a single table's action. I guess some people can do that while 8-tabling, but I have my doubts.

I guess the answer to the question really does depend on what the OP meant by "seriously" getting better. If you want to learn to play optimally (not necessarily optimal $/hour), I think the very best way to do that is by give one table your complete concentration. Once you've got that down, you can add more tables. Chances are you're no longer playing your very best poker then, though.

-Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

And again more BLAH ... geez

OK, I actually didn't want to give any concrete advice, but I will since this sucks, it only tells you to play one table and nothing more ... Concentrate .. USE THE FORCE LUKE !!

Blah

OK, the single most important skill nmo is to pushbot well, for this you have to spend some time with sngpt or whatever program you like the best.

Then I would suggest playing the speeds or turbos ... so you actually dont get to play much postflop. (I assume leaks here as well, and there is no need to let these kill you before the pushbot stage, just play solid ultra tight poker early levels)

Then pushbot better than most and given time, you will earn money.

One table sitting and waiting 20, then one +EV move that gets busted and repeat is not fun, so more than one table is cool. Just don't overdo it, stay in your comfort zone!

This is enough to crush the Party 11s at least.

When you are good at this, then learn to play postflop.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

And again more BLAH ... geez

OK, I actually didn't want to give any concrete advice, but I will since this sucks, it only tells you to play one table and nothing more ... Concentrate .. USE THE FORCE LUKE !!

Blah

OK, the single most important skill nmo is to pushbot well, for this you have to spend some time with sngpt or whatever program you like the best.

Then I would suggest playing the speeds or turbos ... so you actually dont get to play much postflop. (I assume leaks here as well, and there is no need to let these kill you before the pushbot stage, just play solid ultra tight poker early levels)

Then pushbot better than most and given time, you will earn money.

One table sitting and waiting 20, then one +EV move that gets busted and repeat is not fun, so more than one table is cool. Just don't overdo it, stay in your comfort zone!

This is enough to crush the Party 11s at least.

When you are good at this, then learn to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatev - to each his own. I'll take one table of relaxed $109 with a higher ROI and better sit n' go skills (post flop and push bot) over 5 tables of $22 anyday.

-Brass
Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I have become a much, much better player than what I was a few months ago, and have not played less than 6-tables at a time at any point. I think you improve faster by playing mutliple tables, up to a point, since you see soo many more situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - you don't need to play 47 tables at a time but somewhere between 4 and 6 is probably the hot spot for optimal play / improving. I find single tabling is too boring and I'll start getting "creative" to kill the time.

But yeah, no quick fix as was said - just play lots and read / post here and tighten up early.

rvg
Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Play fewer tables...get a coach to help identify your leaks and point you in the right direction for your own studies.

Yugoslav
Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM

Adding tables is going to have a point of diminishing returns.

You can probably still improve quickly playing more than 1-table at a time. But, Jay is right in saying that you'll be put in more situations more often that you can learn from by playing more tables.

So, you have to find the optimum for you. How many tables can you play, while still be able to think about every thing you need to think about. Everyones stack sizes, people ranges, how action on this street effects action later, what your bets will accomplish/not accomplish etc.

Too many people add too many tables and stunt their growth. I see to many post that says, well when I'm 8-tabling I just do 'this' because it's easier. Well, that means they are probably hurting their game and playing too many tables.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatev - to each his own. I'll take one table of relaxed $109 with a higher ROI and better sit n' go skills (post flop and push bot) over 5 tables of $22 anyday.

-Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are in it for the fun and pleasure, then yes. If you are in it for the money, then you got to be kidding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If we assume this choise the 22s win any day. If we assume hourly rate is the same in both places, then the 22s win easily.

You get in a lot of volume and so variance is quickly eliminated and you witness but a steady income. The singletabling 100$ sng'er will ... well ... god know how many hours before he will show a profit.

And while the 22s player can get by on a roll of say 2200$ the 100$ sng'er will have to have ... phew ... a slightly bigger roll.

Part of the fun playing poker is making a decent chip.