Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: small straight draws to overcards

I am surprised at how positively the comments have run toward playing small 3-straights. 7CSAP notes many conditions to consider to determine how to play 3 straights; and, for small 3 straights, says (p. 53, 4th edition) "Three straights made up of small cards are not very good hands. They generally should be played only when you can get in cheaply and when your hand is live, or when you have a chance to steal the antes. One of their problems is that by the time you have the multi-way action that you think you like, you can make your hand and lose to a higher straight or flush. Play them with caution."

With a small 3 straight, pair cards are much less help.

It seems to me that straights in general and small 3 straights in particular, have to be evaluated very carefully as the hand develops. Potential flushes are easier because its simpler to track other cards of the same suit. With straights, you have to worry about where the other cards that might help you are -- eg, if you have 456 and an opponent may be betting 7s then you have to consider the likelihood of your cards being dead in the hole of that opponent. Also you have to evaluate other possible straights and flush draws. 4th st, I would think, wld very often be a check/fold unless you catch favorably or all your opponents catch badly.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 PM

I believe we are all talking about the OP's specific scenario, that you have a open ended straight flush on 4th street. I don't think anyone is advocating small 3-straights on 3rd.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:59 PM

I did miss that the question was directed to 4th street rather than 3rd. But OP says just a straight, not a straight flush.

In addition to the cautionary points Andy mentions, there wld be possible flushes or possible higher straights on 4th and beyond.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Yeah my bad, not sure how I snuck "flush" in there. But yeah, 4-straights on 4th are good when noone showing 2 flush.