Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: State\'s rights...

"Without a doubt the percentage of non-american players that are "fish" is higher than percentage of american players who are "fish".

That you have no doubt does not make your statement accurate. Empirical evidence might show that there is a net cash flow out of the US players' pockets and into Swedish (or Canadian) players' pockets for example. I suspect that was the case in the past, but the spread of poker to the Swedish and Canadian masses, and the maturation of the US market may have affected the balance.

My point is that there is certainly a doubt. The only ones who would know for sure are the site operators.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an issue I haven't heard raised thus far:

If the bill becomes law, isn't the federal government taking away a state's option to allow credit cards, etc. to be used to settle gambling debts incurred at gambling sites that might some day be licensed within a state?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fed gov't can regulate anything to do with interstate commerce. It seems impossible to me to have a poker site that only allows users to access it while in the state.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems impossible to me to have a poker site that only allows users to access it while in the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

The state could require you to give a valid drivers license or ID number for that state to register. and check that name, address, etc. match the information for theat drivers license or ID. This would also make it more difficult for underage people to gamble.