Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Righting a Wrong... Going back to school

Do it!

You spend more waking time working than doing anything else. Doing something you like that also contributes to society is [censored] awesome.

Full disclosure: I went back to school to get my teaching credentials, but financial pressures from raising a kid and all the BS required caused me to quit, and I'm very sorry I didn't stick it out.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:28 AM

Told my boss today that I'm going back to school in the spring, he didn't seem very happy. When I told him it would still be Junior College and I'd be around for atleast another year, he smiled and wished me good luck. We'll see how it goes.

Found out one of the guys from another Pizza Hut in my area is only a few credits short of a Bachelors degree and hasn't been to school in year, so we decdided to take two classes together so we could motivate each other. Hope this works out. Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:38 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Dude, I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. You just have to stay focused on your goal and not let temporary pleasures like getting hammered with your friend or buying that new car get in the way. It will be a tough haul over the sort term, but well worth it.

PE teaching jobs are tough to come by from what I hear. Check this out and if this is true in your area, make sure you are qualified to teach something you enjoy. Math and science are fields that are always looking for teachers, if that sort of thing interests you.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM

HitHard69,

Congrats on your decision. You've taken the first step to getting back there.

I graduated high school in 99 had a few offers to go to school and play sports and choose not to initially because I wanted to take some time off and well work. I had a doctor tell me I had ADD as well was never good at completeing anything I started, I didn't do extremely well in high school but I knew everyone and was involved in all sorts of activiteis-sports. Fast forward a year later I'm working full time at a retail corporation in the back offices my life is the same cycle dayin and day out and I hate it. I decide I'm ready for college and go back and get my degree in 2 1/2 years was on the dean's list and my senior year I walked on to a division one golf program and was elected for student government.

Now I am going back to school after a year of working again because I realized I really want to work with kids again. I spent a year with my degree working with high risk youth and loved it but the chance to run my own facility was small because I didn't have a graduate degree. So in January I'll be back at in class but I know what I want and I know what I need to do to get there.

My best advice would be to keep your eye on the prize at all times. Time goes by quickly and you'll be where you want in no time. GL and well if you need any help feel free to PM.

Chicago
Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Told my boss today that I'm going back to school in the spring, he didn't seem very happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] him if he won't encourage you and hope you do better for yourself. You don't need him and if he suddenly decides that he doesn't need you he won't feel bad about it.

I didn't go to college after high school. I hated school and couldn't wait to get away. Seven years later I got the chance to go to college and did very well. I think the lay off will probably be very good for you.

My only regret was I got into management at my company and instead of postponing any advancements at work for a couple of years I tried to do both and my schooling suffered. I ended up quiting school about 30 hours from a degree. Of course I quit my management fast track and now have the lowest level management position available. I have time for school now but I'm 45, have no desire to go back to school, absolutely love my job and have no desire to ever move back up.

Do it now while the desire is there.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Told my boss today that I'm going back to school in the spring, he didn't seem very happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] him if he won't encourage you and hope you do better for yourself. You don't need him and if he suddenly decides that he doesn't need you he won't feel bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't really tell if he was upset that I'm going to be leaving, or upset that he's been putting in alot of good words for me the higher-ups... He did tell me that if I'm going back to school and plan on eventually leaving, he won't reccomend me for any more promotions. I don't really want one anymore though.

When I first got promoted there was alot of talk about fasttracking me to being a store manager, and I was really excited. They rushed me through most of the training for the next promotion, and now it's just a waiting game for a position to open up. Now I've realized how much of a crappy, lowpaying job it is. Two months ago if they told me I wasn't going to be recomended for that position, I would have been pretty pissed. Now I don't care. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing...