Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: would liberals have passed the Patriot Act?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something similar would have passed for the following reasons:

1. We would have still had a Republican Congress
2. The whole county was in "Do something" mode.
3. My understanding of how the PATRIOT act came into being is that the Justice Department went to Congress with a wish list and Congress largely passed it. Its likely that Civil Servants in the DOJ had a lot of input in that bill, and Civil Servants stay on between administrations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is exactly right, except for point 1. The act passed 357-66 in the House and 98-1 in the Senate. OF COURSE a Democratic administration, with or without a Democratic Congress, would have passed the bill. Anyone who says different is distorting the facts or has a bad memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

OF COURSE any bill dealing with national security would have been written very differently had Democrats been in power. For better or worse.

The online gambling bill passed overwhelmingly in the House and a majority of Democrats voted for it. I think it is pretty absurd to suggest that the bill would have passed -- or even saw the light of day -- had Democrats controlled the House.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The online gambling bill passed overwhelmingly in the House and a majority of Democrats voted for it. I think it is pretty absurd to suggest that the bill would have passed -- or even saw the light of day -- had Democrats controlled the House.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Linky
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 PM

irons-

Just curious, are you really a hardcore Democrat supporter, or do you just view them as the lesser of two evils?

(no attacks intended, just wondering)
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 PM

I am a hardcore Democrat supporter (I volunteer and donate money), but I don't think either major party is evil. One of these days I'm going to do a thread about how politicans are fundamentally decent people who want to do what is right for the country (not kidding). I support the Dems because I think they will make the country better than the GOP.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of these days I'm going to do a thread about how politicans are fundamentally decent people who want to do what is right for the country (not kidding).

[/ QUOTE ]

*attack deleted*

I promised I wouldn't.

Really?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really?

[/ QUOTE ]
Really. But if you have to get something off your chest, PM me. I don't want you to suffer a nervous breakdown.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a hardcore Democrat supporter (I volunteer and donate money), but I don't think either major party is evil. One of these days I'm going to do a thread about how politicans are fundamentally decent people who want to do what is right for the country (not kidding). I support the Dems because I think they will make the country better than the GOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should post it in nos1nos2's forum dood
Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 AM

They would have done something, that's for sure. Whenever the people get scared, politicians scramble to do ANYTHING, so long as it placates the vocalists and holds the appearance of doing something. The other side of this coin is that it gives a supercharge to government to not just do something, but clean house as well. The sad fact is that national tragedies force the spotlight on the cobwebs in governement and motivate people to pressure politicians to do their damned job better than they have been (the other sad fact being the rush to getting results can easily end up with hastily made band-aids rather than fully beneficial vaccinations)

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest, at the end of the day they are all lying crooks trying to get re-elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't being honest.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:38 AM

Maybe. It would be hard to consider them "liberals" afterward. The same can be said for those with the conservative label. Are there any of them left?