Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: How Much Sponsorship Money Did Final Table Players Make?

i remember talking to sthief about an idea i had a year ago about starting a company that stakes beautiful, and skilled female poker players in tournaments where people buy shares of the arrangement. the backers keep 90% of the tournament winnings through contract and the contract states that 50% of all endorsement deals the female receives over several years must be given to the backers. all youd need to do is get a girl with 10% ROI to break even and if she gets famous and lands a 1.2m deal like shoenberg did the company makes 600k. kinda wish i followed through even though the idea of it all is pretty far out there and it might not be possible to write an appropriate contract for the idea.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Small point in reference to the 'second rate soccer teams' comment.

888.com currently sponsor Middlesbrough FC, last years UEFA Cup finalists, 2004 Carling Cup Winners and the club who recently gave England their new manager.

Were not second rate!

Matt.

(Boro fan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Small point in reference to the 'second rate soccer teams' comment.

888.com currently sponsor Middlesbrough FC, last years UEFA Cup finalists, 2004 Carling Cup Winners and the club who recently gave England their new manager.

Were not second rate!

Matt.

(Boro fan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

Boro finished 14th out of 20th in the 2005-2006 English Premier League season, and got only a silver medal from the UEFA Cup Final, in which it was blown out by Sevilla.

That is 2nd rate in my book.

888.com signed Sevilla during the summer. Sevilla will always be a 2nd rate club, as the Spanish League is structured so that every club with the exception of Real Madrid and Barcelona have to turn a profit each and every year, while Real Madrid and Barcelona can lose 100 million Euros each and not face sanctions.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't recall anyone asking about snooker sponsorships in this thread Oliver. Just because someone put on an 888.info hat doesn't mean for you to include yet another reference to China's pending poker/gambling boom.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Kev, you can at least give him props for the way he sidled into it. I go into every oliver post full of suspense about how he's going to work China in there.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Pacific Poker was rebranded 888.com: the rebranding was SPECIFICALLY DONE for 888.com to go after the China market, nothing more, nothing less.

2. Why 888.com does not sponsor poker players long term, preferring to sponsor snooker players and 2nd-rate pro soccer teams instead (much more bang for the buck, with guaranteed "impressions".)

3. Why 888.com snapped up snooker player Ding Junhui instead of other Chinese-speaking "sports" personalities (lots of "impressions" from TV viewers in China, who gets to watch EVERY televised snooker tournament Mr. Ding enters in the UK.)

I brought up 888.com because Paul Wasicka finished 2nd while he was getting paid big money to wear a baseball cap with an "888.info" info, but 888.com did NOT offer Wasicka an endorsement deal to stay with 888.com afterward.

---

One other note: SportingBet PLC, which runs Paradisepoker.com, has recently launched a Chinese-language site, including an online poker room, under the "SB28" brand name. "2 8" rhymes with "getting rich easily" in Cantonese.

[/ QUOTE ]
They play poker in China? Please elaborate
Old 09-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Let me reign this topic back in....
Doug-thanks for the update on Poker Stars structure.

I guess I need to restate my question.

I am sure everyone that won their seat online had to sign on with that sites sponsorship agreement.

What I was wondering is if the competing online companies were throwing money at the players to jump ship and wear their gear at the final table.

For instance, let's use Doug's example. Doug won his seat on Poker Stars. The day before the final table, Party Poker hears that Doug plays on their site. Party says, "whatever Pokerstars is offerring you, we will double it." (disclaimer-this situation was fictional)

This is the kind of stuff I was interested in hearing about.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me reign this topic back in....
Doug-thanks for the update on Poker Stars structure.

I guess I need to restate my question.

I am sure everyone that won their seat online had to sign on with that sites sponsorship agreement.

What I was wondering is if the competing online companies were throwing money at the players to jump ship and wear their gear at the final table.

For instance, let's use Doug's example. Doug won his seat on Poker Stars. The day before the final table, Party Poker hears that Doug plays on their site. Party says, "whatever Pokerstars is offerring you, we will double it." (disclaimer-this situation was fictional)

This is the kind of stuff I was interested in hearing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because PokerStars required Doug Kim to sign a contract prior to buying him into the Main Event, and because Doug Kim signed the contract, he had to honor the contract which had a provision requiring him to wear a PokerStars.NET logo.

There is obviously a penalty for breaching the contract, including the forfeiture of the logo fee that PokerStars had already paid the player, plus additional legal costs that may be incurred.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 AM

As always, the best info comes from Oliver. Thanks.

However -- What else hurts marketability is being too hefty. Put 20lbs. on her when she quits smoking and see how marketable she is.

[ QUOTE ]

Coren's most notable MINUS: she smokes cigarettes. Smoking definitely hurts her image and therefore hurts her marketability.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM

y would u bump this thread with nothing to add
Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
y would u bump this thread with nothing to add

[/ QUOTE ]
so people like me who missed it could see the picture of erica s.

also i was unaware that olivert thought china might have potential to become like an atlantic city-level destination. i always assumed that china had at least reno-like ability.