Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Running Away from Bad Players

As +EV as this situation might be, your head wasn't in it at the time and I think that's fine.

I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting 3 handed with one LP donkey and 1 overaggro moraaaan and I've gotten up because I didn't want to dance with the devil (variance). Do I always get up? No. Should you always get up in this spot? Nay. But every now and then you gotta turn arounddddddd bright eyes [censored] every now and then you gottaaaa
Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Running Away from Bad Players

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm playing a Prima 20/40 table and getting my poop-hole resized. It's not the greatest table, I'm picking on a 40/15/1.7 two to my right who doesn't play so bad post-flop. Rest of the table is semi-solid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you were playing that table in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude to my immediate left leaves and a player I know, who's usually a great fish, sits down in his seat. He's 60/20/1.0, will cold-call with about the top 25% of his hands pre-flop, re-raise the top 10% or so against a late raise. He's not all that aggressive, he just kind of floats there and wakes up at some point if he decides he likes his hand (he'll bluff with draws, but probably not less). He'll never fold his blind. I play for a few orbits, decide that this guy puts me at a huge disadvantage, and leave the table. Make sense, or am I just being silly?

[/ QUOTE ]
So a semisolid guy on your left gets up and is replaced by a sponge who plays very badly preflop and poorly postflop. Now suddenly you don't want to play here anymore?

Now if you belatedly realized that you never should have been here in the first place then I understand that. Or maybe you are no longer in a good frame of mind and need to stop playing or at least get a change of scenery. But please don't try and convince me that this new guy is anything other than a huge upgrade for the table.

What's wrong with the way this guy plays? He's an ATM when you pick up a good hand--that's what. His presence does a lot to enhance the profitability of your premium starting hands and good flops. You just need to calm down when you don't have anything. Try to work him for some free cards and don't payoff very much if he won't bet behind without at least a draw.

Also remember that in the long run you can't outplay someone who always has position. We all lose money to the player sitting behind us and make it back from the player in front of us. It's enough that this guy isn't hurting you nearly as badly as a real player in his seat would.