Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Re: The Text Book Racket

this makes little sense. you're saying the price of textbooks is going to make college unavailable to students, rather than the tuition?

seems like college is still so underpriced compared to what it should cost, these complaints are a little silly.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like college is still so underpriced compared to what it should cost, these complaints are a little silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

Taxes should pay for education.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

If universities reported how much of your tuition actually goes towards education, you would seriously be pissed off. A university is nothing more then a business. They are there to make money from you. The fact that we tolerate it makes the cost partly our own fault.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

If universities reported how much of your tuition actually goes towards education, you would seriously be pissed off. A university is nothing more then a business. They are there to make money from you. The fact that we tolerate it makes the cost partly our own fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll rephrase. The state should own and operate universities.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 PM

This is why some polymaths get offended by college. But I suppose it is a necessary structure for the majority. I don't know about the US, but here in Canada, our colleges are fairly transparent about how they spend your tuition, etc.

State university programs work well enough in the States, don't they? My siblings went to a California state-run university, and they have benefited greatly from the experience.

Textbooks, ugh. But there are revenue gaps that need to be filled.

I'm hoping the Gates Foundation makes inroads on shattering the cost barriers for post-secondary schooling for the underprivileged. They've made some pretty good starts with library programs though.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The state should own and operate universities.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) It does.

B) Do you not see the conflict of interest there?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually costs far more to educate a student than their tuition, even at the undergrad level. The only way colleges stay afloat is if they are state-subsidized (state schools) or though grants and alumni donations (private schools). The cost to the school is even higher for some graduate programs (ie. the cost to educate a medical student is about 3x their tuition).

To whoever said college is underpriced, you might be correct technically, but you are ignoring the bigger consequences of such expensive education. I paid almost $50,000/year for four years to get mine, and now I'm paying that much for 3 more years of law school. The rising prices are going to keep more people out of college, instead of encouraging more to go which is the only way the US can keep up with emerging countries in the global marketplace.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:57 PM

And do you know why the costs of education are skyrocketting while the quality of those educations is not improving (if not in fact sliding)?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And do you know why the costs of education are skyrocketting while the quality of those educations is not improving (if not in fact sliding)?

[/ QUOTE ]

this calls for the end of government
Old 09-09-2006, 07:42 PM

This site sells digital copies of textbooks. I bought my Microeconomics book this way, and I absolutely love it. The only problem is, this site only sells books published by McGraw Hill. Does anyone know of other sites like this for other publishers?