Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: A-hi pissing contest with a maniac

[ QUOTE ]
the flop is a spew, the river is a waste of money. you will rarely win with A-hi here, not nearly enough to warrant this raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf are you guys talking about - you think the maniac checks behind the turn with a pair or a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this river looks fine to me. Creative and good. It would suck if CO were unlikely to overcall anyway, but that's not the case here so we have to do a little heavy lifting.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM

What do you think about the flop? I cant fold. So putting on some preessure to get incorrect folds looked right to me.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about the flop? I cant fold. So putting on some preessure to get incorrect folds looked right to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is definitely an argument for the flop 3bet given that CO could be taking a stab and button could have anything (he caps liberally pf, correct? You can't assume this if you haven't seen it.)

That said, co bet-capped a 944r flop 3way with no fold equity...what exactly are we putting him on again, that's supposed to fold the river?

Surf
Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 PM

I've made plays like this before with a maniac at the table and have folded out pairs and won pots. If you seriously consider yourself beating maniac then I like the river play.

Do you fold to a maniac 3-bet?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM

What are you trying to represent, here? I don't get it. AQ just beat you, AJ probably won't call, and pairs 77-TT will likely call. All of those hands are well within the range of a 40/20 type, even with the preflop cap.

Call > Fold > Raise.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to represent, here? I don't get it. AQ just beat you, AJ probably won't call, and pairs 77-TT will likely call. All of those hands are well within the range of a 40/20 type, even with the preflop cap.

Call > Fold > Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree... you're basically praying that CO folds, AND button has AJ/AT/KJ... a lot to ask for.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 AM

Matt your post has me confused as all hell.

If I understand right, CO is a LAG and Button is the maniac. Correct?

In that case - I don't HATE your play. My only problem with it is that the pot is multiway, and I have no idea what the LAG has. The LAG CO capped a 944 rainbow flop then checked the 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn? That makes no sense unless he has specifically 77.

I dunno, maybe this play has some merit. I just can't put the CO on a hand.

Aside from that, what do you do when the maniac 3-bets you? Maniacs don't start playing sensibly just because there are no more cards to come, as evidenced here:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.66 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (10.33 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

River: (18.33 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 26.33 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
MP has Ks As (high card, ace).
Hero has 5s 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 26.33 BB. </font>
Old 08-31-2006, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Call &gt; Fold &gt; Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree... you're basically praying that CO folds, AND button has AJ/AT/KJ... a lot to ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that other than stated in my OP BT is the maniac. He could have any 2.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 AM

Yah now that you fixed it it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure you were c/r'ing to drive out what is most likely the best hand.

FWIW i think my preferences are raise&gt;fold&gt;call or fold&gt;raise&gt;call