Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Sports Psychologists

[ QUOTE ]
So I had my first session today. Its late, so I'll just give a few details and impressions. I'll keep updating if people are interested.

So the Psychologist I'm working with is trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. He apllies this in a process called Peak Performance Training.

In the cognitive area, I'm starting by learning to become more aware of my thoughts and emotions while I'm playing. What he asked me to do was to keep a journal/log of Events-Thoughts-Emotions periodically as they occur during a typical session. In much the same way I would take notes on poker hands, only I'm taking notes on myself. Once I've become more aware of myself and my thoughts/emotions, I'll be able to start learning how to alter my behavior - the goals being to toally eliminate tilt/steam and put myself in a position to always bring my "A" game.

The other thing he aske me to do is a breathing exercise, I don't know why I'm doing this yet, but I'm lookng forward to finding out. The therapist says he has had a lot of success with atheletes by training them to use their breathing in the most psychologically advantageous way.

Overall I'm very excited about this process. Its not cheap at 200 a session, but I think its well worth the investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very interested in hearing more. If you are so inclined you might want to pick up a workbook or 3 on cognitive behavioral therapy. Also on peak performance, I happen to have one if I remember correctly so there are probably more. Doing these things might give you more bang for your buck and speed your learning curve.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:34 AM

So I've played 2 times since the first session with the psychologist. I'm keeping the log, and I have to say its really helped me be more aware of my thoughts and feelings.

Results wise I've been playing great poker and running well, which is always nice. I had a great read on a player who's historically given me fits, I made a great laydown on the river by recognizing a few reverse tells he was throwing at me to induce a call, picked of a PSB bluff on the river, and then stacked him when my uber wrap filled on the river against his set and he bet into me while I was holding the nuts. I'm a bit delerious from being up for 24 hours, apologies if this is a bit of a ramble.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 PM

Nice! Please keep the reports coming. Great stuff.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM

nice, keep them coming please
Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Oh, one thing I forgot. He was interested in learning about poker specific situations and terms, so I did my best to explain Tilt and Steaming, what its feels like to make a crying call, what it feels like to steam call a big bet on the river knowing you're beat and doing it just beacause your all steamed up about getting drawn out on on the river. I called him up on Friday after the session and sugested he watch or dvr this week's HSP episode and watch the first hand where Daniel N steam calls E-Dog's all in on the river, knowing he's beat. At 200/hr he can watch a little tv for me!

Update on my play and applying this: After running amazing (+8800 in 5/5nlhe/plo) for 3 days I was able to quit the game stuck a significant amount sunday morning when I knew I needed to because I wasn't able to keep playing because I was too tired and starting to tilt a bit due to a weak player luckboxing me out of a few big pots. In the past I've often made it much worse by staying in that spot. I also thought about my breathing in a pressure situation while my heart was racing, I've never ever done that before and I'm psyched to start to learn how to use this new skill to my advantage.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM

So I finally had the 2nd meeting with the psychologist. I was at the Borgata last week and didn't get to go.

The next step in the process involves identifying the distortions in my thoughts. For example, saying "I need to" when everything in life is a choice. Other examples are all or none thinking, Overgeneralisation, discounting positives, magnification, labeling, and oversimplification.

In the 2 weeks since I first met with him, I've definitely felt more aware of my thoughts/emotions while playing, and I've not experienced any extremes of emotions, i've felt much more flexible and relaxed.

I'm working on the breathing as well, its amazing to me how much being conscious of my breathing can bring my mental state into line.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. How long do you plan on going to this psychologist? Has he ever played poker?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 AM

I don't have any hard cap on the time or money I'm willing to spend on this, as long as I can feel it helping me I'll stick with it.

No, he's not a poker player, but I don't think that really matters, the Idea of training to perform at a peak level trancends game type, imo.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 AM

Cognitive behavorial therapy is primarily used to treat depression and anxiety disorders. I'm not at all surprised it works for poker but I would have never thought of going to a doc strictly for my game. Becoming aware of your feelings, tendencies, and emotions and regulating/reacting optimally to them throughout your playing sessions is central. This is one reason a number of psychologists have said if you're a winning poker player, generally, you're a winner in life.

I'm currently being treated for depression and since I started seeing a doc, w/o meds, I'm surprised at how good the poker game has gotten.

Good luck and please keep the updates coming.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one reason a number of psychologists have said if you're a winning poker player, generally, you're a winner in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never seen this? Who said that?

BriMc....great posts keep it up
I just think that a psychologist could be useful in improving more poker specific skills if he experianced playing for an extended amount of time.