Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: f***ing with LAG/TAGs

i actually like the play of donking the turn vs over aggro opposition to get 3 bets in..I just don't think it's correct on this board vs. this opponent.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My plan was to c/r almost every flop, and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you?

True

[/ QUOTE ]

cause I'm a fish, and flopped top set and was like, "Oh man, I can't c/r now, I have to set" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thats why i'm posting it, to get feed back like RDH gave.

I think c/r this flop would have made this hand a lot better.

It would ahve went bet, c/r, 3bet I call

turn, check, bet, c/r he calls down.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i actually like the play of donking the turn vs over aggro opposition to get 3 bets in..I just don't think it's correct on this board vs. this opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the key here, since it's so coridnated, if I c/r, the opponent will probably call down weak, and probably assume I am on a draw, and most of the time I will be.

so just c/r the flop and go from there.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of hands will he raise here with? We have top set, so it is unlikely that he has a q. The read is that he is a lagtag not an idiot, so if he has something like second pair he will likely just call you down. By leading into him you give him a chance to fold hands like A7,66 etc.

Given the way that you played this hand i would prefer to go for a turn cr. You have shown no strength so if you check to him he will bet a wide range of hands.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM

I personally wouldn't do this PF,
the reason being... im a 3-bet monkey from my BB against a button and occasiaonlly CO raise.
I need to mix monsters along with my A6s to 3bet the guy with. I get action on my legit 3-bets too. Being OOP without initiative ,with QQ and a A or a K flopsto a lagtag is not fun. Id much rather have intitative in this situation to represent these cards. AA I could see being slowplayed here, you'll very likely make your 1SB back and initiatve isn't nearly as important.

The reason this turn donk isn't that great is for what another poster said. There just isnt that much out there for him to want to raise you with.

Middle set would be a much better to do this with, because then he might have a queen.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I mean, is 3betting preflop, and betting the flop of 843 really going to exploit an overaggresive lag tag if he doesn't hit the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just like to add that if I 3bet preflop with QQ and I lead a flop of 843r and a lagtag calls, if the turn is a blank, I will screwplay very often. This play mixes in very well with my A-high/marginal hand, turn check/calls.

About your hand. I see nothing inherently wrong with your non-standard play. I think it is important to occasionally check/call the flop and donk the turn with strong hands against certain players so you will have more turn bluffing opportunities in the future.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, pf doesn't matter that much. Against regulars you see a lot of, I don't mind mixing it up at all. I know there are a handful of guys who'll be able to peg down my range pretty well when I 3bet out of the BB, so I mix it up sometimes too.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the case then you really need to expand your range. If people are giving you too much respect when you 3-bet from the bb then start 3-betting all sorts of hands like T9s etc.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not really burning money, since I did manage to get 4 bet by

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the turn, and then I check raised a river brick and got called.

I don't know if I would have got that much action had I 3bet PF, and bet/3bet the flop.

Who knows, I just know I love retardo monkeys when I flop top set [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM

thehip,

by not reopening the betting preflop you never give the lagtag the opportunity to cap you light with 87s and similar hands, which is honestly burning monay.