Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Overpair under attack

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know ppl are saying to check behind but I also kinda think I shoulda bet. That was the part of the hand I thought I was most likely to have misplayed. Thing is I feel he definitely bets river if I'm beat. In general I don't see ppl check-raising river much at this level. More specifically, in this spot if he made a full, he bets cos he's afraid I'll check behind. If he made trips, he bets too because he's afraid I check behind unless I backdoored a flush but will call a bet with weaker trips or whatever else I might have. Maybe he doesn't call me very often on the river but I think that's ok cos I really figure I'm super likely to be best.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 AM

raise him on the flop to about 8, be the aggressor in this hand, if he 3 bets you, push him all in, you're likely against a pair, draw or 77-TT
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he doesn't call me very often on the river but I think that's ok cos I really figure I'm super likely to be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a reason to bet the river.

Assign villain a range. He has shown strength throughout the hand. At this level, playing a draw this strong is not typical.

The question you have to answer before you bet is "What worse hand, in villain's likely range, will call a river bet (I am leaving out what better hand folds on purpose?" I find it very hard to assign one to villain. I can assign many weaker made hands that beat hero that check/call this river though.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM

I like raising the flop to around 7, since you probably have the best hand (top pair, 77-10's, betting his draw hoping you just have overs). However after the call, its pot control time after the 6 comes. Many players will lead out with top pair on that kinda board. Once the 4s comes he might be (somewhat irrationally) thinking you have a 5 or made your flush and checking a better hand. He might even be getting fancy with a boat. You cant even assume you'll get a call from 77-1010 after you called the 5 on the turn since he probably has ruled out you just overcards. I like the check.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he doesn't call me very often on the river but I think that's ok cos I really figure I'm super likely to be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a reason to bet the river.

Assign villain a range. He has shown strength throughout the hand. At this level, playing a draw this strong is not typical.

The question you have to answer before you bet is "What worse hand, in villain's likely range, will call a river bet (I am leaving out what better hand folds on purpose?" I find it very hard to assign one to villain. I can assign many weaker made hands that beat hero that check/call this river though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have expressed myself more clearly, of course I understand the simple concept behind river value betting. IMO Villain checks river with essentially no hands that are better than mine. And he calls a bet with 77-TT and these hands add up to more combos than the hands that beat me. The rest of his range is made hands weaker than 77. As far as him having a draw, I wouldn't want that anyhoo