Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Re: jury duty

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

edit: i'm gonna move this to internet, they probably also have lots of good advice for you.

Edit/MH: I'm gonna move this to NVG. They will probably want to give their views on this.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 PM

btw if your answers make it blatantly obvious that you're just trying to get out of jury duty I believe the judge could hold you in contempt. not sure how often this happens in practice.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:20 PM

The tables at Party will be juicy when you get back. I'm sure jury duty will be a good experience.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:05 PM

sam,

The last time I was called for jury duty was years ago when before I played fulltime and was working for a small company where I was a critical employee. I wrote a letter and asked to be excused as my absence would be a severe hardship to the company (which was true), and got excused by return mail in a few days. Being self-employed if you just scraped by you could probably get excused like this as well, but you aren't just scraping by and your "business" will still be there when you get back.

Also regarding what the poster above said about saying outrageous stuff works too. I have a friend who has done that twice in the next county and they don't even call him any more. He says [censored] like if they weren't guilty they wouldn't get arrested, or makes some mildly offensive racial remark (he isn't a racist but doesn't give a rat's ass if people thought differently).

However, like Ansky said, you should probably do your civic duty. For the income you make, it's not like you can't stand missing a week or two in a trial or two (you are in a pool for a while and might be called for selection more than once and might even serve on more than one short trial. I think you have to be very unlucky to get called for something like a capital murder case or a complicated big civil suit to be tied up more than a few days usually on one trial.

So if I got called now, I personally would feel that since missing a week or two's income wouldn't honestly hurt the way I live, then I couldn't refuse or make some BS excuse. And I probably wouldn't even pay a fine as that along with the other stuff is why juries end up with the lowest common denominator people often. However I would pay a fine basically equal to one or two HSNL buyins before I would lie to get off.

And if you don't ever want to be called again for jury duty, then don't vote and let your registration expire or ask to be unregistered if possible, as that is the list from which potential jurors are chosen. If you are a democrat then you especially ought to consider that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-27-2006, 02:46 PM

The odds of getting selected for a prolonged trial are very slim. You probably won't see the inside of a courtroom.

And even if you do get selected and make it through voir dire to actually sit on the jury, the chances of being sequestered are very slim.

And if, despite the extremely long odds, you do get sequestered for a multi-week trial that might not be all bad. You might be sitting on the jury for the next Michael Jackson, Phil Spector, or OJ. When it's done you can sell your story to the Enquirer to make up for the income you missed.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM

Just man up and do it
Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM

[image]http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/00/1022200-85113cfe7fc0c5e199d9ce70d9c7441e.jpeg[/image]
Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 PM

On the form they mail you, they ask you what company you work for and how many paid days they give you for jury duty. Just put on there you are self employed and you get 0 days. When they see this, they'll probably call you the first day, never put you on any juries, then excuse you after that. I mistakingly put 2 days on my form when I had jury duty in california in march, and thats what happened to me.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just man up and do it

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just man up and do it

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]