Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Hobbs talks in full to you guys....

how do you like to determine where the line should be drawn between making a good value raise, and a raise that will only be called by hands that are beating you while folding out hands that you beat?

Since this will vary widely from player to player, i'll draw some parameters. assume the guy isn't the call down w/ any pair guy, assume your table image isn't reckless, and assume that your opponent is capable of at least some level 1 thinking.

Here are two examples where I couldn't decide if I should 3-bet or not (and did):

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>
Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 AM

raising A8o in UTG2 ? lol
Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 AM

shouldn't this be post be entitled "Hobbs talks while full to you guys"?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 AM

and do you really like the dodgers or do you just feel sorry for them?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol that was rape, i have a question what was your biggest leak fixes in moving from micros to 2/4 and such basically biggest leaks u noticed playing 1/2 or 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to give you a simple response, but one that I feel is stil very important: learning that calling is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey hobbs, would you say this was a big leak of yours in fullring or shorthanded? more concisely, do you think this "leak" has bigger implications in fullring or shorthanded play? fwiw, i had to teach myself the same thing SH. my AF skyrocketed(along with all of my other stats)when i first began playing 3-6 handed and i had to be conscious of the fact that, as you said, calling is okay sometimes. i think in fullring small stakes, opportunities come up more often where we frequently need to raise to face the field with two or simply for value as there may be more draws against us with more players. i have noticed that the higher in limit i play the more SH play is crucial to success. i guess in fullring i generally agree with you, especially on the big streets in a not too multiway or HU pot.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Define the level of Little Bus' retardation. Examples would be amuzing.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:12 AM

imagine yourself at 2/4, 3/6 or 5/10 fullring .

one limper to you on the button.

what is your raising range if limper is TAG? what do you overlimp?

what is your raising range if limper is LAG? what do you overlimp?

what is your raising range if limper is fish? what do you overlimp?

how does the range vary according to it being an EP limp, MP limp, and CO openlimp? the forum thanks you.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:20 AM

in EP(UTGish) what is the smallest PP that you raise pf and what % of the time do you raise with it/call with it/fold it? i guess you can list game conditions if you want, but once again i'm speaking in the 2/4, 3/6, 5/10ish context.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:25 AM

you are playing live. some drinking has been going on. you look at one of your hole cards and see an A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise. while you are trying to decide what you want to order on the next round of drinks some punk behind you 3bets. do you just call the 3bet and proceed with the drink order to the waitress(your homies are waiting for you since it's your turn to buy), or do you look and see what your other hole card is before proceeding. i tend to just play it safe and call so i can complete the drink order.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 AM

what 2p2 poster has most influenced your player development?