Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Free Kicks in Soccer

Also when youre striking the ball to make it curve that much at that kind of pace, missing the intended sweet spot by even a fraction can send it on a pretty radically different trajectory.

Basically the players arent trying just to put then on net, but rather hit it absolutely perfectly since beating the wall and keeper is no easy task.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 AM

Default FIFA

[ QUOTE ]
An indirect [kick] is for a penalty that isn't really that bad...think of it as a "offsides" in the NFL. A direct kick is for a penalty that is pretty bad... think NFL "facemask"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Direct Free Kick
Penalty Kick; Indirect Free Kick
Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the responses. I obviously never played competive soccer so thats why I asked the question. I understand the difference between indirect and direct, but I have mostly seen the inderect kicks end up being very similar to direct where one guy taps it to the other and he goes for the curve shot.

I now understand that this is very difficult to do, but are there any guys who are consistent with this? I watch these guys make 40 passes on a dime to each other and it seems like there would be a lot of value for someone to work relentlessly on making these shots.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it that hard to consistently put the necessary hook on the ball?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the pace necessary to get it by the goalkeeper, yes.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key factor, in order to get the ball by a world-class goalie they've got get the ball really moving and this takes away a huge degree of accuracy.

I'd guess that if you gave them a chance to just display their accuracy without having to worry about how hard they kicked it their accuracy would go way, way up.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM

The wall of defenders is 10 yds away, the goal is 10 foot high.

Getting the ball up over the wall, back down under the crossbar, and with enough power so the goalie doesn't get there is quite difficult.

Against a rival team there is the option of blasting the ball into the wall a few times then they will be more likely to flinch and break the wall later in the match
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the goal is 10 foot high.

[/ QUOTE ]

goal is 8X24
Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I now understand that this is very difficult to do, but are there any guys who are consistent with this? I watch these guys make 40 passes on a dime to each other and it seems like there would be a lot of value for someone to work relentlessly on making these shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There are guys that are very good at free kicks, but it's still far from a sure thing. Especially if they are very close. A shot from 18 yards out is more difficult than a shot from, say, 23 yards or so. The reason being that you don't have to curve the ball as much and can send it at a higher pace.

Most famous for it is David Beckham. He's quite well known for shots from close in. Roberto Carlos is most famous for free kicks from further out. He doesn't make them often (who does from 30+ yards out) but can cause havoc by smashing the ball very hard, and those he does make are very impressive. Other players are very good but less famous for it. Ronaldinho for example is good, and would probably be right up there if he wasn't amazing at everything else. It's a small part of his game whereas for Beckham that and his crossing ability are his specialty.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the goal is 10 foot high.

[/ QUOTE ]

goal is 8X24

[/ QUOTE ]

knew it was close...been a few years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 PM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/33206/...oberto_carlos/
Old 01-27-2006, 08:18 PM

Best free kick ever. I watched that live it was in 98 and i didnt really appreciate it until i saw the replay, incredible!