Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: If We Went Extinct,

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No babies are made in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we grow adult-sized humans or mechanically enhance existing humans?

I suppose there are two ways to address the propsed question:
1. ...if the current living popluation must be the last generation of humans.
2. ...the elimination of the human race without any effect on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, ARE YOU TOTALLY STUPID OR WHAT?? i think the intent of the original post is clear!

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently it's not, because I was expecting it to be (2).

[ QUOTE ]
suddenly become unable to reproduce, and humans went extinct

[/ QUOTE ]

This covers two situations: the one after humans become unable to reproduce, and the one after humans no longer exist.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM

I think the inability to reproduce would have a profound effect on development. The remaining humans would likely become extremely selfish as a whole, as there would be no "future generations" at risk. At the same time, there would be little benefit to mongering power. I think the situation would be good for two reasons:
1. Scientific development and collaboration would flourish. The goal of the community would be identical worldwide: prolong the existence of the living humans. I think that the pressure of extinction would cause an amount of pressure that might enable us to escape it. That is to say, I don't think the situation makes extinction a definite possibility.
2. The actual extinction of humans would give the opportunity for a new dominant species to develop.

EDIT:
In a universal sense, this doesn't really matter; we will ultimately die out anyway.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If something happened which caused all of humanity to suddenly become unable to reproduce, and humans went extinct, would it be a bad thing?

Im not talking about castrating everyone or any physical harm like that, just some magic spell or sci-fi disease that only makes it so conception is impossible. The only harm that could befall us, is that which would result from not having babies.

If you think it would be good, why?
If you think it would be bad, why?
If you think it would be neutral, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a good thing for all other living species on this earth.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Someone stole your idea.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:52 PM

If you're asking the question, you may be ready for these guys
Old 02-13-2006, 03:54 PM

Depends on your criteria for determing good and bad. However I would not want to live in such a world.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM

impossibe
well youd only think that if you beleived in some religion where there is a heaven and eventual end to earth

spaminator
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you voluntarily decide not to have kids you are ending joy in the same sense, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

This comparison is totally invalid. I live in a society that produces children. I do not have to do it myself if I don't want to.

[ QUOTE ]
So do you think refraining from having kids is a bad thing? (assuming you could give them a great life)

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you voluntarily decide not to have kids you are ending joy in the same sense, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

This a pretty old post but nontheless I think I remember what I was saying.

[ QUOTE ]
This comparison is totally invalid. I live in a society that produces children. I do not have to do it myself if I don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not society produces children is irrelevant to whether or not you are preventing some happiness when you refrain from having kids whom you could give a great life. You could create one more happy kid yet you do not. I agree there is nothing wrong with this, and even that there would be nothing wrong if man died out. You are missing the point if you think I am saying you ought to have kids. I am making a conditional that if you believe what he said you should believe something else, you saying that "This comparison is totally invalid. I live in a society that produces children. I do not have to do it myself if I don't want to." is totally irrelevant to my point. My point is that from what he was saying it follows that you should always have a kid if you can give it a great life. So if you would like to propose a counterexample please come up with one that is relevant.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 PM

I've been considering a similar question. Is there any objective reason why humankind should exist? Is there any convincing reason why we should enact laws with the aim of preserving humankind instead of driving ourselves into extinction? Lawmakers never justify why we should keep existing.