Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Two hands I play passively

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1: I fold the flop.
Hand #2: I play it the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

though i 3bet KK always in this spot, fwiw. I think the flatcall is more appealing from the SB to let in a BB who will call with too many hands 3way. 4way you are letting 2 (supposedly decent?) players in for cheap with hands like T9s etc that you don't really want getting attractive preflop odds.

Surf
Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Hand 1: Looks good, including the flop call.
Hand 2: 3-bet pf. The rest looks fine.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:06 PM

What´s with the flop call in the first hand ?

I dont understand why you dont want to 3bet hand two when you have loose players in the blinds ? Dont like preflop value ?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 PM

hand one "expert play?"

My opinion horrible and worse.

and in saying all that I think playing passive has merit in these games right now.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand one "expert play?"

My opinion horrible and worse.

and in saying all that I think playing passive has merit in these games right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 PM

fwiw , i think hand one is played very agressively. lol
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Hand 1: raise/fold situation on the flop; since raise is pointless, I'd fold. I would fold the holding pf in most game types.

Hand 2: as others have said, Nate the best, what's the point of not raising this pre-flop. You're giving up a lot and playing HU or 3-handed is much better than 4-handed. Post-flop looks good.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 PM

FPS anyone? I do not like either hand.

Hand 1: flop peel is just too loose.

Hand 2: I dont like it at all. Why price blinds in that play good? 35/20 guys my be a tad too loose but that doesnt mean they dont play well postflop.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM

Ok, this reply is to everyone basically. I'm sorry I made this thread, this might be the first thread I've started here in months and I regret it already. Of course these are non-standard, or "FPS", or whatever you want to call it. I don't post boring hands that I play every day. These are two hands out of the 2400 I played yesterday, its not like this is my standard play with kings preflop.

That said, there is some disagreement about the flop peel in hand one. Looking over the replies it looks like there is definitely a majority that thinks its too thin, but a few seem to think its fine, so maybe its not so simply and probably fairly close. For me, I paused for at least 5 seconds before peeling the flop, deciding it was very close. Interestingly, I would have folded if the coldcaller had called the flop (terrified of a slowplay). Anyone have thoughts on whether they would be more or less inclined to peel in that situation?

Second, while I don't want to be that guy that posts something, receives advice, and then totally ignores all of it, I think you guys are putting too much emphasis on the words "defend too often type of guys" which is funny because I only included this as an afterthought while previewing my original post. "Defend too often" guys are going to call closing the action with 73o and K2s and basically lots of crap and maybe in the SB too since they know its going to be 4 ways when I coldcall on the button. In my opinion I'm very happy to have them in the pot with these caliber of hands, which they are certainly going to fold if I 3 bet. All the "defend too often" guys I see tend to close their eyes and call for one more bet preflop but play basically normally when faced with two more bets. Also this play had a lot to do with the caliber of the preflop raiser who I think is a very tough opponent, but maybe some of you disagree with that, I haven't played too much with him. Finally, I think I should find a river fold in this hand, based on the fact that he is a solid player and any coldcalling hand I might hold basically got there, so I'm calling hoping to see exactly QQ/KK? Or maybe he's going to just keeping firing with 88? I don't think so. With a relatively small pot he needs to be out of line too frequently or hold QQ/KK and I think in retrospect I need to let it go.

Results: The results are I lost one of the hands and won the other won.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Pre-flop isn't so bad in hand 2. If he has XXs you'd rather (the BB at least) get a fold, technically, but your implied should be pretty awesome when they spike a pair.