Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Foie gras banned in Chicago

I read an article yesterday that said that this ban has had the effect of increasing the amount of foie gras being served in Chicago. Ooops.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read an article yesterday that said that this ban has had the effect of increasing the amount of foie gras being served in Chicago. Ooops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this leading to the revival of the Capone mob in Chicago, smuggling foie gras in on speed boats on Lake Michigan in the dead of night.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM

I dont mind this.

I mean, we have laws in place to protect animals from cruelty. So if someone was beating their dog or whatever, I'd sure as hell call animal control and report them. They would investigate and if found to be true the animal would be removed from the home and the owner could face fines and even jail time.

Now, the same should hold true for any animal (not just pets.) Force feeding a bird does seem cruel to me. But then others would argue over the selling/eating of any and all meat. PETA people would aruge that eating chicken sandwich is cruel etc... So it is hard to draw the line. Maybe we should all have to go out and hunt/kill our own prey in order to eat it? No, def. not :P

In the case of Foie Gras, I dont think the ban is a big deal. It's not like you would eat it every day or it's a staple in your regular diet (like beef, chicken, pork) and it is made in a fairly more cruel way than other meat.

This is just my take on the sitch.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Sorry to hijack but what makes me mad is the US ban on raw milk cheese. They need to be aged too long for most soft cheeses in order to be allowed in the US.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, we have laws in place to protect animals from cruelty. So if someone was beating their dog or whatever, I'd sure as hell call animal control and report them. They would investigate and if found to be true the animal would be removed from the home and the owner could face fines and even jail time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens in factory farms is much worse than the beating of a dog. Most people are just comfortably ignorant. Really, the animal agriculture practices should be cleaned up for health reasons if nothing else (and I think a good start would be the elimination of the insane subsidies).

But the government has no position legislating morality. If we want to give animals rights then that's fine. But in terms of legislating against certain kinds of meat because it's "immoral," particularly when these birds typically live better lives than most domestic livestock... Well, it's the same thing as banning homosexuality or gambling. Attacking something because certain people consider it immoral.

I think the smoking ban is unjustifiable, but this is obviously worse. Still, it does more to highlight the idiocy of lawmakers than their corruption.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 PM

Is it the force feeding or the killing of the geese until they die from it that is deemed cruel?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But the government has no position legislating morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you think laws are made?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:43 PM

Just put the lobster in the freezer until it falls asleep. Robert Frost told me it's a comfortable way to die.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you think laws are made?

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies from country to country. How exactly is that relevant?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol