Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Do Not underestimate Senator Kyl\'s threat to online poker,

Third-world assassins are so f'ing cheap these days too.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) has the votes locked up right now to be leader, and that won't change no matter what happens in the elections. That means his whip slot will be vacated, and it is more than likely that Santorum's Conference Chair slot will also be vacated by his defeat. Not sure if Dole will stay on as NRSC chair or not. The Republican Policy Committee slot is really a do-nothing post for the most part, aside from directing what the staff lackeys write in the memos to all GOP offices about various bills and amendments.

Here are the considerations that go against Kyl becoming whip: Trent Lott (R-MS) is going to run for some kind of leadership postion, and when he runs, he wins -- plain and simple. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) is going to run for something in leadership, though I am less convinced of his ability to win. I'm sure John Cornyn (R-TX) is harboring ambitions of being in leadership as well -- though he'd have to go through his in-state superior, Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to get there. She is also currently in leadership and may look to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which state do you represent, Senator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best not to ask such questions [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) has the votes locked up right now to be leader, and that won't change no matter what happens in the elections. That means his whip slot will be vacated, and it is more than likely that Santorum's Conference Chair slot will also be vacated by his defeat. Not sure if Dole will stay on as NRSC chair or not. The Republican Policy Committee slot is really a do-nothing post for the most part, aside from directing what the staff lackeys write in the memos to all GOP offices about various bills and amendments.

Here are the considerations that go against Kyl becoming whip: Trent Lott (R-MS) is going to run for some kind of leadership postion, and when he runs, he wins -- plain and simple. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) is going to run for something in leadership, though I am less convinced of his ability to win. I'm sure John Cornyn (R-TX) is harboring ambitions of being in leadership as well -- though he'd have to go through his in-state superior, Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to get there. She is also currently in leadership and may look to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which state do you represent, Senator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best not to ask such questions [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he told me, he would have to kill me, huh? LOL

Come on, let's cut the crap. It's pretty obvious that Mr. K is actually Ted Kennedy.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Clearly...I mean, he likes to gamble. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these days, you insiders should list which current big-shot politicans are renowned poker players.

(And while you're at it, include whether they're considered fish.)
Old 08-21-2006, 05:03 PM

I recall reading somewhere that Supreme Court Justice Scalia is a big poker player who plays in a regular game with some other Washington bigwigs who's names I can't recall.

I know that Scalia is buddies with Cheney, and they've gone duck hunting together in Stuttgart, Arkansas several times. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if Cheney played in that game with Scalia.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these days, you insiders should list which current big-shot politicans are renowned poker players.

(And while you're at it, include whether they're considered fish.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe those that want to outlaw all forms of online gambling (including poker) are those that lost all of the money playing the online games (including poker).

They might figure if they stop the industry, they wouldn't be so tempted to play and lose to all of you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recall reading somewhere that Supreme Court Justice Scalia is a big poker player who plays in a regular game with some other Washington bigwigs who's names I can't recall.

I know that Scalia is buddies with Cheney, and they've gone duck hunting together in Stuttgart, Arkansas several times. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if Cheney played in that game with Scalia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I googled it, and Chief Justice Rehnquist was one of the players in Scalia's game. Here's an interesting historical tidbit involving poker:

"Peter Baker, author of The Breach, a behindthe- scenes account of the impeachment trial of President William Clinton, reports that during proceedings the Senate's Sergeant -of-Arms, Jim Ziglar, discovered Chief Justice Rehnquist and his clerks were spending the long, boring intervals between sessions of the Senate playing poker! Describing the scene, Ziglar said there was "money and cards strewn all over the table". He reminded them that the rules of the Senate prohibited gambling.

However, when he returned later, only the money was off the table."

Here's the link to the entire article. It looks like Taft, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Truman were big poker players, too.

http://www.pokerplayernewspaper.com/...cle.php?id=672

And this is the evil game that our government wants to protect us from! LOL