Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: AKh against Shannon Shorr ME Day 1c

No way I fold this hand. If scared you will make a mess of the hand post flop, keep pot small and just call. You have a decent stack so I think I flat call. If you reraise like you did he will def call and you have made the pot big and guaranteed a flop. if you must raise pf then make it 4500 nad hope he folds. that big of a raise looks like ak/1010ish. Bottom line i call to keep pot small since im oop with a potentially hazardous hand. plus the flat call really disguises your hand.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your opponent has been active, so I'd but "him?" on a pretty wide range. Notice that he's deep enough to justify raising a hand like 44 or 55 UTG+1 for implied odds (if there is another stack that size)....so we really can't narrow his range much. Also not that damn near every pocket pair AND many suited connectors can make a case for calling/raising your lead out. Because such a big fraction of your opponents raise will be willing to put you AI I think a GOOD case can be made for c/f this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely.

His range was almost any two, even from early position. I knew I was killing his range pre-flop, but I do not think I could outplay him postflop. I'm likely not getting action if I hit, and he could get more chips from me if I miss. This is why I wish I could've just shoved.

I didn't want to check this flop because of the possibility that he missed like I did. But I guess it's more likely that he hit this somehow, and/or will outplay me.

As is, he moved in instantly over my flop bet and I folded.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant to post this a while ago but I've been travelling a lot.

Day 1, Shannon has been very active and has about 60k at this point. I have 18k and haven't done much besides steal blinds since I got to this table around dinner.

We're at 150/300/25. Shannon raises to 1000 from UTG+1. Folds to me in SB. I look down at AKh. I re-raise to 3000. Shannon pauses for about a minute before calling.

Flop is 789 two spades one heart. I lead out for 4500.

[/ QUOTE ]
Irrelevant but somewhat interesting aside. I played against Shannon in Austria and he sat to my left, and we basically only played one big pot against each other where I opened w/ AKo in MP, he re-raised me in position and the flop was 987 also. Which i check-folded. Very similar except the preflop re-raisor is reversed. But we were both OOP and I think that means we're both gonna lose this pot.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:30 PM

I would have called preflop and check/folded this flop.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:31 PM

I still don't know who Shannon Shorr is
Old 08-18-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have called preflop and check/folded this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. As played I would still check/fold. If there was any flop to check/fold AK after reraising OOP then this is the one. There is an upside to check/folding here after your raise. Sure it looks weak, but that's good as it will lend credence to your future CB's when you have air on less dangerous flops.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't know who Shannon Shorr is

[/ QUOTE ]

the hendon mob is usually a good resource!

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=55619

also, I just call preflop and play poker.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM

I dont like reraising here bc you are in the SB, Shannon has a load of chips, and he raised from EP. He will be playing aggressive, but he is also not folding here. If you had, say, 13k and reraised to 3k, then you would/should push most flops, or C/R all in.

As played, you cannot C/R as you are too short to push him off any pair or draw. The bet is fine.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:46 PM

I agree about calling preflop. As played, do you not like his bet, or are you in check/fold mode here too?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the preflop raise. I wouldn't have seen anything wrong with a call either.

The key to me, as others have hinted, is that the way you play preflop sort of determines the way you have to play on the flop.

By reraising preflop, you almost have to lead out or check raise or risk getting run over for the rest of the tournament.

With about 7K in the pot, your 4.5K lead out into a straight flush board is pointless and likely to only be perceived as weakness. It's a crappy flop for you and opponent is already going to have AK in your range.

Whether leading out, or checking raising, I think you have to overbet the pot. You can't give him a chance to make a good call.

But even all that aside, you're in a tough spot here. If he puts you on AK 30-40% of the time, there is no bet you can make here for value.

IMHO, you check the flop and hope to get a free turn card. If he bets out for a decent amount of chips, then you have to seriously consider laying this one down.

Personally, in this situation I call preflop and check into this board, hoping to get a reasonably cheap or free card. If he bet's into me after a check, then I consider the check raise based upon previous history. But if I check raise, it's most likely going to be for my whole stack.

The reasoning is simple. A player who thinks (or knows) he is better than you, and has a far bigger stack than you, is going to view you as a target rather than a threat. One of the few ways to back someone off these sentiments are to make it clear that you will play for your whole stack at any time from any position. If you hadn't done it to that point, then this may be a very opportune time.