Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Did I play AA too soft?

[ QUOTE ]
Would such a tight player lead out with a set on the flop? If I'm as tight as that villain, I probably have people trying to steal pots from me all the time. Therefore, I play my top or 2nd set by either check-raising or check-calling.

[/ QUOTE ]Personally, if I was the last raiser PF I'm almost always betting my sets, even if it's top set. Raising FP and then checking the flop looks really wierd. And then when you check raise it becomes obvious what you have. If opponent folds to my raise, oh well- it happens and I think I'd likely not have gotten much anyway. But if he calls then I'll go for a check raise on the turn (and it seems they'll always bet if I check the turn) and usually get him pot comitted.

So yes, I think opponent could easily be betting out with a set. Also he MUST known that the only hands in our hero's range are AA, AK, and QQ, all of which might re-raise him on this board.

Edit- Ok, villian is in position- didn't realize that. So check raising is out of the question. Still, in position all the more reason to bet out with a set. No reason to give free cards. You aren't going to get paid off anyway if opponent doesn't have AA, AK, or QQ.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SILVER MAKER: folds
Rich_Fish: folds
vtl1187: folds
Allways Look: raises 400 to 800
BadBeat1: folds
Tmay420: folds
klask: folds
The Whip66: folds
Hero: raises 2200 to 3,000
Allways Look: raises 2800 to 4800
Hero: re-raises AI
*** FLOP *** 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
*** TURN *** 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
*** RIVER *** A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for a full house, Aces full of dueces
Allways Look shows 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for four of a kind, dueces

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM

Ok You still have alot of outs had the worst happened.( i.e he has KK ) He comes out of a large reraise with a mid size bet at best. You can still afford the call but I would have reraise 2x his bet. If then he reraise iwould eat it and fold. If not he calls you are still in good shape to hit a 3rd A or Pos striaght. Regard less with that call of his he is either going to fold or raise. The fact that he did not go all in screams for a Raise and you still are not bust.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok You still have alot of outs had the worst happened.( i.e he has KK )

[/ QUOTE ]

I count 2 plus however you want to count the backdoor straight draw. Is that alot?

Al
Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok You still have alot of outs had the worst happened.( i.e he has KK ) He comes out of a large reraise with a mid size bet at best. You can still afford the call but I would have reraise 2x his bet. If then he reraise iwould eat it and fold. If not he calls you are still in good shape to hit a 3rd A or Pos striaght. Regard less with that call of his he is either going to fold or raise. The fact that he did not go all in screams for a Raise and you still are not bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM

I don't play at these levels, but I'd probably raise to 2800 the first time, and push after he reraises. Even if he is tight, that doesn't mean that he will lay down KK preflop. As played, gf on the flop.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play at these levels, but I'd probably raise to 2800 the first time, and push after he reraises. Even if he is tight, that doesn't mean that he will lay down KK preflop. As played, gf on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight, these are my thoughts exactly.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:03 AM

yea the flop fold is good, same thing happened to me a while back. he obv has a set here.
i don't mind getting tricky with the AA preflop, but i usually just jam it