Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: 5/10 -- Getting popped on the turn and I\'m left with a river decision

I would have no river decision to make because I wouldn't still be in the hand on the river. However, if I was you, I would fold there.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: 5/10 -- Getting popped on the turn and I\'m left with a river decis

Sometimes I call the turn to "keep em honest" intending to muck the river, but always OOP to guard against a free showdown raise. When villian is OOP, he's just about always going to bluff the river, as others have said.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have no river decision to make because I wouldn't still be in the hand on the river. However, if I was you, I would fold there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt have a river decision to make either becuz my hand would already be on the call button. I think you guys are seriously underestimating how aggressive the party 5-10 6 max game plays. The best analogy I can give for the Party 5-10 and above games is its like Omaha beach with bullets flying every where. Everybody is trying to win the pot. So when im in a situation where its HU on the turn in a raised pot, and I bet the turn and get raised or checkraised by an unknown, I always call down much looser than normal, becuz this is precisely the spot where you should make your loosest call downs! Your opponent knows that you are the only one standing between him and this decent sized pot, and he also knows that you may or may not have a hand. Which means the chances that your opponent has a lesser hand/draw/or even nothing goes up tremendously. Throw in the fact that you have the nut 2nd pair, and theres 2 flush draws on the board and many straight draws possible, this becomes a very profitable call down against a Party unknown player at this level. For those that dont understand that this is a standard calldown, reread what I just wrote until you get it, your wallet will thank you.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 PM

With this hand on this board I would normally check through the turn and call a river bet. I would only deviate from this strategy if I found out my opponent actually has the restraint to not bluff the river after the turn goes chk/chk and he has 9 high, or if he has an unusally tight flop calling range.

I would still fold the turn if I misclick bet tho, because this is also a popular way to play all hands like Q, no kicker and better. You'll get a read on the guys that will pull gutsy moves with air soon enough.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Re: 5/10 -- Getting popped on the turn and I\'m left with a river decision

I wouldn't be happy about getting checkraised on the turn, but I like calling down versus a 5/10 unknown.

You'll lose more often than not, but keep in mind that as far as BB is concerned, when you bet the turn, you still have whatever two cards you started with. And you won't be 3-betting with very many of your possible holdings.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best analogy I can give for the Party 5-10 and above games is its like Omaha beach with bullets flying every where.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I change my mind 3bet the damn Kraut.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wouldnt have a river decision to make either becuz my hand would already be on the call button. I think you guys are seriously underestimating how aggressive the party 5-10 6 max game plays. The best analogy I can give for the Party 5-10 and above games is its like Omaha beach with bullets flying every where. Everybody is trying to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5/10 can be an aggressive game at times, but in general is not anywhere near as aggressive as you suggest. There are a lot of tight passive players, there are a lot of super loose 50/20/.5 type players, and there are some aggro 30/30 types.

One thing to consider is that even if hero is ahead and villain has one of the two possible flush draws, hero is being sucked out on about 20% of the time, maybe more. If the player is totally unknown, the call is probably not bad, but I think a lot of times its a losing call against many 5/10 players.