Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: 88 - River decision

A "Clarkmeister:"
"If OOP, HU and first to act, and 4th flush card falls on the river, bet, no matter what you have."

Thus spake Clarkie.

bc
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If OOP, HU and first to act, and 4th flush card falls on the river, bet, no matter what you have."

Thus spake Clarkie.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

But this isn't heads up. Does it still apply here?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thus spake Clarkie.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God someone finally defined this for me. Sounds like a good play. I agree with betting, but there seems to be some disagreement over whether to b/c or b/f. If you bet, EP1 calls, MP1 raises, you are getting around 15:1. There's just gotta be enough chance with those odds that you are looking at overplayed pairs. Call and expect to lose.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with betting, but there seems to be some disagreement over whether to b/c or b/f. If you bet, EP1 calls, MP1 raises, you are getting around 15:1. There's just gotta be enough chance with those odds that you are looking at overplayed pairs. Call and expect to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can call raises multiway on a 4 flush board.
I still don't understand the reason for betting this in a 3 way pot. Is it for value or to fold better hands? Both seem unlikely against 2 opponents.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with betting, but there seems to be some disagreement over whether to b/c or b/f. If you bet, EP1 calls, MP1 raises, you are getting around 15:1. There's just gotta be enough chance with those odds that you are looking at overplayed pairs. Call and expect to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can call raises multiway on a 4 flush board.
I still don't understand the reason for betting this in a 3 way pot. Is it for value or to fold better hands? Both seem unlikely against 2 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bozlax put this best in his 2nd post. He also argues that its unlikely, given how you've played your hand, that its not very likely you'll be raised by villain holding less than nut flush. Which argues for a b/f. I've rethought this hand, and I'm changing to b/f.

The way I see it, in a pot this big, its really hard to fold just one bet back to you, so why not put it in yourself and gain the tiny (even very tiny adds EV in poker) chance of folding a small one card flush. It also helps to avoid getting bluffed off the better hand. Remember, everyone is thinking hard about how to play that 4th [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so representing the best hand either a) folds a small flush or b) doesn't let anyone else represent it. If you get raised, what can you possibly beat? Same price as the one that now has to be paid as played to call MP1s bet but adds on a bit of equity. Bet out.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:27 AM

A laggy would have raised an Ace and possibly even a flush draw on the turn. I think his river bet is less of a bluff than a value bet. Fold the way you played, bet next time.

On a side note can someone explain why you would raise from BB with 88 with 6 people calling already?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On a side note can someone explain why you would raise from BB with 88 with 6 people calling already?

[/ QUOTE ]

At most tables, I wouldn't do this, but at super loose passive tables, this can sometimes be a +EV value bet. It increases the pot for your set value, plus adding a little equity. Its a much better move from the button or CO, because you have position. OOP, this is super hard to play if you hit nothing, since you might do a continuation bet on a smallish flop and still be raised by overcards. It only works if your hand has value against your opponents range, and also if they charge you the minimum post-flop. I don't know if this situation occured here, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At most tables, I wouldn't do this, but at super loose passive tables, this can sometimes be a +EV value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not super-loose, but very passive. I was raising for the set value, but I realised at the time that it was a marginal play.