Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Jamie Gold \"Agent Resume\" Ripped Mercilessly by Hollywood Types

[ QUOTE ]
clearly karma doesnt exist in this world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 AM

wow
Old 08-15-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Not Ripped Because we don\'t know him.

i can't say he is being ripped -- because most of us in the entertainment business don't really know him. he a few friends who are in the business, and he plays poker with them.

i never once fielded a call from him, as a studio exec or as a producer. never has anyone he repped been up for one of my pictures. i only do features not tv. but if he was a decent size agent i would have known him or of him. i hear he is trying to produce tv. doubt it will work, but you never know. he is just a guy who took a one time dream of being an agent that failed too far after the fact. sad, but many do it.

more importantly, he played well, had the luck you need to win a big tourney. now instead of judging his past, let's give him a chance to represent poker in the coming year. maybe he has grown up. maybe he will end up surprising people and become a good ambassador for poker.

chris moneymaker is a person that many feel is a bad human being, and very screwed up. yet he helped change the poker world for the better.

there are very few greg raymers or doyle brunsons out there. let's wish gold well and see what he does with this opportunity.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Not Ripped Because we don\'t know him.

[ QUOTE ]
chris moneymaker is a person that many feel is a bad human being, and very screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed any talk of this, care to elaborate?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 12 million reasons to hate on this dude, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just say 48 million (in quarters) and call it a day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2006, 03:19 AM

"he might only be walking away with second-place money after all. Once you get past the millions of dollars he'll clear after taxes, this fame stuff really does kind of suck."

LOL they do know the endorsements he will get will Kill right?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 AM

why do you guys hate gold so much? im sorry but ive been out of the poker loop since the final table of the wsop
Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 AM

This is a very different ME Champion we have here. I wasn't aware that Jamie himself was peddling the Ari Gold lie. If so this is one sick [censored].
Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM

I am quite suprised at the lack of outcry here... I would have thought this thread would be 20 pages by now... Quite a bit of shady business going down..
Old 08-15-2006, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The friend, a young British chap named Crispin Leyser, who, with his wife Jules, tours with the WPT as a boot camp poker instructor, collared smarmy "Scream" star Matthew Lillard to fill the celebrity seat at the last minute, and - recognizing that his pal was failing to get his own 10k tournament buy-in together - the grateful Gold then offered Leyser half his winnings should he cash in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part seems like bull [censored] to me. If the guy was having trouble getting the buy-in together why would Gold promise him 50% of his winnings instead of just helping him with the buy-in? No matter how much of a long shot someone is, I can't see anyone promising half their winnings for something like this (even though I did promise my girlfriend that I would ask her to marry me if I ever won the WSOP ME. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
And while it remains to be seen if he makes good on his nil-advised oral contract with the poker coach, it appears that the former ten-percenter is guilty of making one helluva bad business decision.

Says one poker pro, "In the gambling community, your word is gold." And, should the man of the same name as his word welsh on his promise, says the pro, "His name is dirt."

[/ QUOTE ]

While it seems like our current WSOP champion is guilty of a few exaggerations on his resume (it's going to be interesting to see if ESPN hypes what now appears to be a bogus resume during their telecast. Sure Norm can tie it into something one of his ex-wives said once), imo there is no way he can welsh on the deal he made with Chan. Chan is too big a star in poker world and his assistance to Gold during the ME was all too apparent. Whatever else he is, I don't think he's stupid enough to cross Chan, and will have enough sense to give him 10% whether they agreed to it or not and another 5% on top of that.

Now that the agent back story is falling apart, I wonder how he really got to know Chan?

PS -- love the part about his biggest client turns out to be none other than Ron "I got a jewbat" Jeremy