Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: put him on a hand, please (200NL)

leading or checking is fine on this flop. Mixing up your play is FINE imo. I don't like 3 betting the turn, but if you call and hit you may not get much action... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 PM

I lead this flop almost always in a limped pot. 3 bet on turn is just horrible. Fold to the push very quickly.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:31 PM

The tight/passive-aggressive rock flopped or turned a set, or turned a straight with 67s (probably not hearts, since he might have bet the flop with an OESFD).

So, I think you can fold here. K and 8 are no longer good outs for you. You basically need to river a flush to win. That is 9 outs * 2% (estimate) = 18% or very roughly 4:1 against. The pot odds are call 138 to win 276, or 2:1. So, it's a clear fold at this point.

I think when the rock min-raises the turn, call is in order to see if you hit on the river without pairing the board. If you hit, value bet so that a set will feel obligated to call. If you miss, check/fold.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the turn reraise.

joseki, what is your go rank?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was around 1d before I started playing poker. Haven't played a game in 2 years.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put my money on him having 55 or 67s and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. also, I think a fold is in order even if his range is a little bigger than this.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The crux of this is what the turn min-raise means from a nit/rock/tight-passive-aggressive. I think there is almost no chance he checks the flop with a made hand. If we're to believe he has anything at all the 5 had to help, but the only hands it could help are 55 or 76, and I'd expect a bigger raise with those. So, after his min-raise, I put him on hearts or air and thought I could fold air or maybe get a bad call from JhTh or the like.

FWIW, I folded after a short pause. I still think there is a good chance he was FOS, but I do feel a bit better about it after getting such a consensus here.

Do you guys really see super-tight/somewhat-aggressive players frequently play strong hands like this? This guy is a regular in the game and I think he's probably a winner. I think guys like this make money by playing big hands strongly against the jackasses, and using their reputations to pick up pots against observant opponents. Any thoughts on that?