Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Hand from Stars 500k

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably I check the turn, and call/bet the river; if I bet like you did, then most probably it's a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This, I think, is the best line. Check the turn, call a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, best line, I agree.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:35 PM

check the turn and give a free card to a flush?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Why are you assuming he has a flush draw after checking 2 streets?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check the turn and give a free card to a flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against one player the likelihood that he is on a flush draw is pretty slim.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:42 PM

Here's what I think:

1. Check turn, call river.

Having not done that( a line I always wish I had taken when I find myself in this spot), I think you have to fold unless you are convinced your J has villain outkicked.

What could villain have that he would reraise what should be a scare card? He either has a made hand that has you beat, has a very good draw (oesd/flush) or is semi-bluffing the board.

For his play to be optimum, his reraise on the turn has to be followed up with a major lead out on the flop. There is a chance that the river will go CK CK. But, I would estimate that is no better than 20%. Therefore you can not call the turn without expecting to call the flop. Further, if that is the case than I see your options as push or fold on the turn.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Definitely feeling outkicked, especially with reading the other posts on this thread. Could be sitting in a straight draw and just trying to scare you off with the overcard? 650 is a hefty bet..I might cut my losses here on the turn.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably I check the turn, and call/bet the river; if I bet like you did, then most probably it's a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like pretty good advice given that you were check-raised.

What if villian just called hero's turn bet? Then we'd be saying it was a great bet because we'd be making him pay if he had a draw or a weaker king. Also, we'd say Hero could get to a cheap shodown because Villian would likely check the river and we could check behind unless we were supremely confident he'd call with a weaker hand.

Are you saying that the standard play here is to check top pair on the turn with a few random draws out there?

If so, that's fine, but pls clarify. Otherwise, this simply looks like you saw the check-raise and then adjusted OP's play for that check-raise.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:54 PM

I think some of you saying to check behind are being a little results oriented... I check behind like 30% of the time on the turn and bet 70%.
I would look and check if the guy has been splashing around, and if he has been, its a call down. If not, I would fold but not be happy about it.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Checking behind on that turn seems terrible results oriented thinking. When that turn card comes, you are only very rarely going to get check raised from a worse hand. Do you think he's going to take this odd line with a flush draw? I'd fold expecting to be behind very often, and expecting to have to face a river bit when I'm ahead (as well as often when I'm behind as well making the river pretty tough).
Old 02-06-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind on that turn seems terrible results oriented thinking. When that turn card comes, you are only very rarely going to get check raised from a worse hand. Do you think he's going to take this odd line with a flush draw? I'd fold expecting to be behind very often, and expecting to have to face a river bit when I'm ahead (as well as often when I'm behind as well making the river pretty tough).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to post nearly exactly this (good thing I read the replies!). Sometimes you will be folding the best hand, but not often enough I think (given the fact you will have to face a river bet nearly always).