Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Wives and Poker

OK, so I put my genius “early morning” plan into effect this morning. I went to bed with her last night, and all was well. Then I set my internal alarm clock for 5-6am or so. I awoke at 5:30am and waited a little. At about 5:45am I used the bathroom and snuck out the second bathroom door to go play. It's not that I was trying to be sneaky, but why wake her if I don't have to, right?

So I sit down and look for a table. I find a lovely little aquarium to play at. I sit in.

The good news is: I played for an hour and finished the session at +21BB!! I used a few tricks from SSHE that I recently read, and they worked out great.

The bad news is: 3 minutes after I sat down, I hear the bedroom door open, and I hear her feet shuffling down the hall toward the computer room. I knew this wasn't gonna be good. She stops in the doorway and stares. Eventually she says “what's this? what are you doing?” - I pull a blanket over my head and pretend she is not there. She then declares, “you have a problem, it's quarter to six in the morning, and you have to get up to play poker? You definitely have a problem”.

So much for my brilliant idea. Jesus Christ, wtf am I supposed to do? I thought waking up early would be the least selfish way I could get my poker in, but as usual, it's not good enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Get a laptop and play in bed next to her. I am married and this works out just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a laptop being built for me and that's my gameplan - to not have to go hide away in the computer room when I want to play. I can stay in the living room while she watches her shows or whatever, and sit next to her and play. That sounds great in theory, but so did my “early morning” idea. The struggle continues...
Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 AM

stuff like this makes me not want to get married.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 AM

It gets a lot worse that what he has--they'll see a talk show and start accusing you of being a "pathological gambler" for going online in the first place.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 AM

I have a similar deal here, but my computer is in the living room, when she watches some chick flick I play online. OK, yeah, I get a little spacey when she talks to me when I’m in a hand, but I’m right there with her.

Not like I’m spending the kids inheritance either, I’ve even made a few bucks off it, while she’s the one who has lost $500 at a time at online slots (!!!).

I don’t have an answer for you either, just commiserating with you.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stuff like this is why I won't get married.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should read this and this and see if you single guys still want to get married.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
says “what's this? what are you doing?” - I pull a blanket over my head and pretend she is not there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Does this technique work? Should I be trying it?

[ QUOTE ]
She then declares, “you have a problem, it's quarter to six in the morning, and you have to get up to play poker? You definitely have a problem”.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you'll have to talk things over now. Good luck with that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why when you meet someone who makes you want to get married anyway you can be fairly sure you've met the right one.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to know if other married poker players had any thoughts on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an art to pushing the pram back and forth with your foot, while you work the laptop with both hands.

You're happy

Baby's happy

Wife's NOT happy if she catches you.

Still looking for the answer myself! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ian
Old 08-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Alright, some positive news...

I played for an hour this morning, and went back to the bedroom before she got up again. I fell back to sleep, and when I woke up, she had left for work. She worked until noon today, and when she got home I asked if she had an apology for me for overreacting and telling me I had a problem. She didn't feel that she needed to apologize, since she still felt that sneaking off at 5:40am to go on the computer and play poker was indicative of me having a problem.

So I then explained the thought process behind my early morning playing - that I thought it was the least selfish and least obstructive time to play. She and the baby are still fast asleep, and I dont take away any of our time. The only one who loses out on anything, is me losing some sleep time. I also asked why it was ok that I occasionally get up at 5:30am to go fishing and partake in that hobby that I enjoy, but getting up early for poker, another hobby I enjoy, meant I had issues - I liked that comparison.

Well, when I explained the logic, and how my intentions were to find a time to play that would allow us to always go to bed together, she said “well, when you explain it like that, it makes sense”. So her real issue was that without her knowing my plan, it seemed sneaky for me to wake up and take a piss, and then never return to bed but instead plop down in front of the computer to gamble. I can see how I maybe should have shared my gameplan before just disappearing.

Anyway, she likes my idea and we talked it through nicely. I also decided to simply NOT share any bad beat/awesome hand stories with her anymore.

I understand that these stories and issues make you single guys fear marriage. But the positives do outweigh the negatives, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
says “what's this? what are you doing?” - I pull a blanket over my head and pretend she is not there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Does this technique work? Should I be trying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it didn't work. I think I was resorting to the old childhood “pull the blanket over your head-what ya don't see can't hurt you” method of defense. I still thought it was a funny response to the “what are you doing?” question she posed to me.