Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Stuff to do in Toronto

If you like jazz, theres The Rex on queen west of university. Live jazz band every day, small cover on fri/sat.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
drugs pls?

[/ QUOTE ]
Jane and Finch

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see you, and your presumably white ass, go up to Jane and Finch to buy drugs. Please file a trip report at the conclusion of your adventure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived there when I was younger and from what I remember there use to be a sketchy alley near the Macs where if you go in and whistle a dealer will come.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Or the Orbit Room on College. That place is pretty cool. You'll find lots of good eats around there too (Little Italy). But it depends on your budget. Toronto has world class restaurants.

I don't know of any hookah bars, but there's a place in Kensington (off of Spadina, right near Chinatown) that lets you smoke on the patio. In terms of finding something to smoke, I would recommend walking around Yonge and Dundas and speaking to the bike couriers. Or walk up Yonge a bit and stop by the many bong stores. They could probably point you in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing your lifeless body on the 11:00 news in the event you do go to Jane & Finch.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:46 PM

Haven't been to the Orbit Room but have checked out the Rex on a number of occasions.

As far as scoring drugs on Yonge St. goes I wouldn't recommend it - especially around Dundas. This is a very touristy area with a decent police presence. If you go a little further north (around College) at night you will find plenty (but I still wouldn't recommend it). I had a condo at Bay and Charles for around 7 years so I'm pretty familiar with the Uptown/Yorktown area.

My absolute favourite dive is The Silver Dollar located on Spadina just North of College. I've seen some phenomenal bluegrass bands in that place. They actually sell their own beer - the Silver Dollar Special or something like that... Although I'm sure it's just watered down Canadian [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As far as bong stores or head shops go, the ones on Yonge street are pretty much designed for tourists - low quality generic products, drug symbolism printed on low quality tees, etc... there is a hemp store on Queen West that is excellent and sells all of the paraphernalia you could imagine.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. We'll probably end up at the jazz clubs sooner or later. Silver Dollar is appealing to me at least, my uncle plays bluegrass all over and I've kinda learned to like it. The drug thing won't really be an issue for me, I'm happy with alcohol and a strip club or 2. Everyone else smokes weed, but w/e they can find it on their own.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jazz is chill

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pilot

Located in Yorkville. If you go and decide you're not into it, there are many other bars and restaurants on this strip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
our budget isn't quite up to par with the rest of 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then Yorkville is def not an area you'll want to hang.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jazz is chill

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pilot

Located in Yorkville. If you go and decide you're not into it, there are many other bars and restaurants on this strip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
our budget isn't quite up to par with the rest of 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then Yorkville is def not an area you'll want to hang.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going for drinks, as opposed to shopping, Yorkville is fine. You won't pay any more for a pint of beer at The Pilot than you will at most other uptown pubs.

And to be fair I balanced it out with The Silver Dollar where you can drink on the cheap. When you leave the Dollar walk south down Spadina and head west on College - tons of good little bars with patios and most of them will have live music and affordable drinks - Rancho Relaxo, Oasis are a couple I remember.

OP was also asking about strip clubs. I can only speak to The Brass Rail (also on Young just south of Charles). Go in for a beer or two and check the place out. The chicks are the hottest of the hot but the place is tiny and the drinks are very expensive.

If you're looking for an after hours bar I can give you directions to The Matador. They open at 2 AM and they have a rock and roll house band that plays until around 5 AM. It's a police / biker co-op so you don't have to worry about the place getting busted. The bar only sells mix but you buy your booze from a lady in an elf hat who sells bottles of vodka, rum etc.. out of her satchel... honest. It's a pretty cool operation. Warning though... the dudes outnumber the women around 2:1 - good party though.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OP was also asking about strip clubs. I can only speak to The Brass Rail (also on Young just south of Charles). Go in for a beer or two and check the place out. The chicks are the hottest of the hot but the place is tiny and the drinks are very expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And pay the extra $20 to go upstairs. It's well worth it.