Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

Grunch:

I'd usually raise pre-flop with KQ in MP - you've seen no real EP strength and you possibly have the best hand at this point so you want to force weaker hands out of play before the flop to deny them draws and you want people who do have reasonable hands to pay a premium to play. You want them to have to make a difficult decision and maybe force them out too. Failing that you want the pot to be big enough to potentially bet on draws, depending on what the flop throws up.

Then the flop comes and it isn't good for you. You've failed to make a pair or any kind of draw. Anyone with a loose ace is dominating you, anyone with a 5 or 2 is also beating you. Unless you have a read on the players and know you can bluff them then I'd be checking with everyone else and folding to raises. You had what looked like a good hand, now you don't. Now you want to see free cards to make a hand. If the hand wasn't strong enough in your mind to invest small bets PF then what makes you think it is worth throwing big bets at it now you KNOW the flop didn't come right?

BB isn't acting agressive so but he is calling your raise. So he probably has something. Maybe nothing huge but something. You on the other hand have nothing. So why keep paying to play? If he has a low pair then you have 6 outs c.7/1 odds which isn't great considering the pot. If he has an ace you have no outs.

I don't see the logic in being agressive when you have nothing and are in front of a player who is calling your bets.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

"Grunch"

A raise pre-flop would probably be a better play to put some pressure on the blinds and make them pay to see the flop. A raise could also make people believe you have at least one Ace, and then your bet on the flop could give you the pot right away. BB could have anything here the way I see it, but he probably has something. After betting on the flop, being called and still not improving Iwould probably slow down, and check the turn and river, or fold to a bet.