Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: I raised with 97s . . . good flop, get mini-checkraised, now what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont mind 3betting the flop less than all in though, because you are in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm 3-betting, I'm committing to putting it all-in, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, but you sound like you think this is bad. getting all the money is with this hand is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think that's bad -- it's what I did [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But, the major reason I posted this is that I wanted to make sure I was thinking about this juncture of the hand correctly. I thought I should try to get my money in the middle here, but in retrospect wondered if that wasn't too aggressive and whether I should have taken a more passive approach instead after I was check-raised. (By the way, this isn't a results-driven post -- I won the hand.)
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont mind 3betting the flop less than all in though, because you are in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, but you sound like you think this is bad. getting all the money is with this hand is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think that's bad -- it's what I did [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But, the major reason I posted this is that I wanted to make sure I was thinking about this juncture of the hand correctly. I thought I should try to get my money in the middle here, but in retrospect wondered if that wasn't too aggressive and whether I should have taken a more passive approach instead after I was check-raised. (By the way, this isn't a results-driven post -- I won the hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you got it under control then, nh.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Result

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you got it under control then, nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, not really, but thank you. Here was the action and result.

I 3-bet to $30, Villain reraised to $50, I went all-in, Villain called. He showed top 2-pair, I sucked out a runner-runner straight with the 8 and then Jack, and the world was a better place even if only for an instant.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:26 AM

IMO you cannot draw any conclusions whatsoever because your flop bet is so weak. Bet around 3/4 pot on the flop always ($7-$8)and villains will pull much less [censored] like that on you.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 AM

I don't know if people missed this is fr but it is and this line(limp/call pf then c/mr flop) is a set a ton.

Use your position and call. He should give you alot of info with his turn bet and then you can proceed accordingly.

I agree with the op's who said to bet more on the flop as well. This bet will be perceived as weakness even by average hand readers because people pretty much always pot overpairs in this spot. Betting more gives villain less info, and as others have pointed out, more options for you on the flop when raised.

Paul
Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO you cannot draw any conclusions whatsoever because your flop bet is so weak. Bet around 3/4 pot on the flop always ($7-$8)and villains will pull much less [censored] like that on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this, and by others who seem to feel strongly that my flop 1/2 psb was bad here. I thought 1/2 psb bet on the flop following a raise was within an acceptable range, particularly as part of a balanced strategy. I'm not trying to fold out draws; I'm happy to get money in and don't want to scare out TP; also, maybe most importantly, I've made continuation bets that are 1/2 sized the pot, so a similar bet here can tend to disguise my current hand (as well as future continuation bets).

Also, what's wrong with making my opponent feel like I'm weak (as some suggest the 1/2 psb does) when I'm actually strong.

I appreciate the criticisms -- keep em coming -- but I would like to understand this.