Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Variance in soccer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From what I can tell, american football has a lower per game variance that any other popular sport. This doesn't detract from the game's appeal at all IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

is tennis popular enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

make that team sports.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 PM

in the same vein as the fa cup, a few years ago the rochester rhinos (a sencond tier pro team) made it to, and I believe won?, the finals of the us cup. they beat the columbus crew (again, if I'm remembering this all right) an mls team in the finals and beat one or two others on their way.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the same vein as the fa cup, a few years ago the rochester rhinos (a sencond tier pro team) made it to, and I believe won?, the finals of the us cup. they beat the columbus crew (again, if I'm remembering this all right) an mls team in the finals and beat one or two others on their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1999-2000 a French team that was in either the third or fourth division made to the final of the domestic cup. I'm pretty sure that they were all amateurs on the team. I watched the final (I was in Spain at the time) and they played tough, losing on a penalty that shouldn't have been called.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does variance include a "better" team being outplayed (and losing) on a given day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, probably should not in theory but I don't know how you would account for this in practice. This all flows out of a discussion as to how the World Cup compares to other sporting championships, notably the NFL, in terms of crowning the best team as champion.

With the narrowing of worldwide talent gaps and the prevalence of penalty kicks deciding games, in addition to the heightened significance of each goal in determining the winner, I was thinking the world cup is less efficient in terms of crowning the best team as champion than other sports. Yes, I was a fan of Brazil [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my club soccer team was unstoppable. over a 2 year span we lost 3 games in major tourneys. we lost in the semis to an amazing south african team and the other 2 times were in the ohio north state cup to a very good team. the second time we blew a 1 goal lead in the last 5 minutes.

over this span we beat state champs from, minnesota, kentucky, ohio south, indiana (beasleys team), maryland and a illinois.

we had one player who went division 1. we had maybe 3 others who played division 3.

on paper we were runts, but we got the job done on the field. it could be argued that every win of ours was an upset. but if you watched the games, it was apparent we simply played better and deserved to win.

is this variance?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does variance include a "better" team being outplayed (and losing) on a given day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, probably should not in theory but I don't know how you would account for this in practice. This all flows out of a discussion as to how the World Cup compares to other sporting championships, notably the NFL, in terms of crowning the best team as champion.

With the narrowing of worldwide talent gaps and the prevalence of penalty kicks deciding games, in addition to the heightened significance of each goal in determining the winner, I was thinking the world cup is less efficient in terms of crowning the best team as champion than other sports. Yes, I was a fan of Brazil [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag, Brag.

is this variance?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my club soccer team was unstoppable. over a 2 year span we lost 3 games in major tourneys. we lost in the semis to an amazing south african team and the other 2 times were in the ohio north state cup to a very good team. the second time we blew a 1 goal lead in the last 5 minutes.

over this span we beat state champs from, minnesota, kentucky, ohio south, indiana (beasleys team), maryland and a illinois.

we had one player who went division 1. we had maybe 3 others who played division 3.

on paper we were runts, but we got the job done on the field. it could be argued that every win of ours was an upset. but if you watched the games, it was apparent we simply played better and deserved to win.

is this variance?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. If you played those games 1000 times, would you expect to win a majority of them?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If you played those games 1000 times, would you expect to win a majority of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

its hard to say. other teams were athletically and technically superior. its likely they would adjust after a few games. we basically surprised a lot of teams by playing very hard and smart and benefitting from some overconfidence i think.