Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: 2001FP as a tv?

So, as a complete [censored], I just spent 2 hours driving around to a Best Buy that wasn't too full to move thanks to the tax-free weekend, then I decided I'd just wing it with a couple cables and see what I could hookup, then I bought an S-Video cable, knowing full well that my cable box didn't have an S-video outlet.

So, I'm no further along than when I started, except that I know that a stereo mini-to-rca Y cable may make work from mp3-player to stereo receiver, but won't work from stereo output cable box into computer speaker system.

I guess I'll just order that nifty little thing WW linked.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the TV tuner card isn't exactly an option b/c I'm using a laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about this stuff, but I remember seeing a TV tuner that plugged into USB.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 PM

there are also ones that plug into your pcmcia slot, search newegg, they run 40-100$.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Ahh, ok. I see those things you're talking about now. It's ok though, the cost was gonna be about the same, and I'd rather not have any software involved with this, just plug it into the monitor.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm not sure why you need extra equipment. I had this setup before moving recently. I ran the video cable (the yellow one) from the cable box into my monitor, and then the audio cables from the cable box into a speaker (I used a desktop computer). On the front of the 2001FP there is a button that toggles between inputs. #1 is the standard monitor input (VGA), #2 is the newer/fancier monitor input that you probably have connected from your laptop (not sure of the name), #3 is the standard video cable, and #4 is S-video. So when I wanted to use the monitor to extend my desktop I set it to setting 2, and when I wanted to watch TV I changed it to setting 3.

As for the quality, as Patrick said above, when I was sitting right at my desk it was a little grainy, but if I was sitting a little ways back it wasn't too bad.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

except that I know that a stereo mini-to-rca Y cable may make work from mp3-player to stereo receiver, but won't work from stereo output cable box into computer speaker system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I had a special Y cable (I doubt it), but this worked for me. I don't know the correct terminology, but one end had the 2 audio cable plugs (red and white) that fit into my cable box, and one end plugged into the soundcard of my computer.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM

I hooked up my 2005FPW to my PS2. It rules. I'm getting rid of my TV.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

except that I know that a stereo mini-to-rca Y cable may make work from mp3-player to stereo receiver, but won't work from stereo output cable box into computer speaker system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I had a special Y cable (I doubt it), but this worked for me. I don't know the correct terminology, but one end had the 2 audio cable plugs (red and white) that fit into my cable box, and one end plugged into the soundcard of my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my initial no video test, this doesn't seem to be working. If I can get it to work, then I'm going to return what I just bought, and just stick with the easy setup you suggested, since that's what I planned on doing in the first place.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 AM

Ok, just got the little box thing. I'm going to be back at my home setup tomorrow, so I'm going to try to connect everything then. Now that I look at it, I'm not sure if it's exactly what I wanted, butif it works, it's perfect for me. We shall see shortly.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM

I use my 24inch screen, the new one, like 2407fpw or something. THe image quality sux balls, best buy guy told me to buy a DVI cable for better quality and that dosent even work. WTF