Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Fun Little WSOP Hand

The new, non-Paul type of line:

Bet 2.5k, with the following possible results:

1. Everyone folds.
2. Fold out at least the two remaining with position, have position on the turn on whoever flat calls with the likelood of getting a free river card.
3. Get raised, and shove and put villain to the test to call for their "tourney life," but don't forget to spike an out if this happens.

This is off the top of my head as I am trying to experiment with different, more aggressive lines then I usually take.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 PM

noah,
Its a good quesion, given the table dynamic i was ok with it. I thought one of two things would happen, I'd get HU with a guy who likes to check fold, or play a big multi-way pot with a bunch of people who i have a pretty decent skill edge over. Its thin but I don't have a particular problem with it given the table factors.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The new, non-Paul type of line:

Bet 2.5k, with the following possible results:

1. Everyone folds.
2. Fold out at least the two remaining with position, have position on the turn on whoever flat calls with the likelood of getting a free river card.
3. Get raised, and shove and put villain to the test to call for their "tourney life," but don't forget to spike an out if this happens.

This is off the top of my head as I am trying to experiment with different, more aggressive lines then I usually take.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible, but you don't have a strong draw. You are at best 32% against an ace.

There are too many loose players at this stage who will call with top pair. Plus someone could have more than top pair.
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1881136
pokenum -h ts 7s - ac jd -- as 8c 9h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing As 8c 9h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ts 7s 312 31.52 678 68.48 0 0.00 0.315
Ac Jd 678 68.48 312 31.52 0 0.00 0.685
Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM

I think people will nickle and dime call with top pair and some random kicker. I think you have significantly more FE when you put them to the test for their WSOP ME tournament life.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people will nickle and dime call with top pair and some random kicker. I think you have significantly more FE when you put them to the test for their WSOP ME tournament life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at my table.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:39 PM

UCLA,

I don't think the players you are describing raise a bare Ace on the flop, meaning you won't have the opportunity to 3-bet all in.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM

Well, since this is far from a standard line for me to take, I am more then happy to hear why it would be foolish.

So if the 3-bet shove option is going to be very rare, then the question is whether we take it down often enough on the flop combined with the free-card-hit-our-outs option to make a bet here profitable. Correct?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM

A couple things,

First, are we seriously questioning whether we're deep enough here preflop? REALLY? We have 150xbb. If not now, when? And don't you dare say never. I'd take that as a personal slight.

I think 3-bet push here is a) not going to happen, b) bad for the reasons already covered.

I don't really see any value in betting here at all, because even if we fold out CO and Button and gain better position, I'd probably rather have them still in the hand if/when I hit my 8 outer. A bet on the flop may lead to them correctly folding TT/66/A6/T9/etc.

I C/C on cruise-control here.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 PM

the issue with the T7s call isnt my stack, its his.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple things,

First, are we seriously questioning whether we're deep enough here preflop? REALLY? We have 150xbb. If not now, when? And don't you dare say never. I'd take that as a personal slight.

I think 3-bet push here is a) not going to happen, b) bad for the reasons already covered.

I don't really see any value in betting here at all, because even if we fold out CO and Button and gain better position, I'd probably rather have them still in the hand if/when I hit my 8 outer. A bet on the flop may lead to them correctly folding TT/66/A6/T9/etc.

I C/C on cruise-control here.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. I see very little reason to bet here, except to perhaps build a pot so that later streets will be more profitable if we hit. im in C/c mode as well.