Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Resume Help

dont put ur SAT on it. that's ridiculous
Old 08-05-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Resume Help

I used to read resumes and hire people... so here is my take.

1) Move education to the bottom. I care more about what you've done professionally in the past few years than I do about which chair you sat in to get a degree.

2) "Fast learner," "Good communication," "Strong analytic skills," - so what? Who doesn't have these traits nowadays? The best qualification you have on your list of qualifications is your foreign languages. Replace your first 3 qualifications which are OPINIONS you have of yourself with FACTS, like the fact that you are bringing X years of experience to the table or have worked in a particular field that is related to the job for which you are applying.

3) Job descriptions - one says "Intern" - intern doing what? Yes... you were an intern, but for what type of position? What type of company?

4) Skill Summary - you're missing one. My computer programmer resume has a list of all the languages and technologies I've worked with, software applications, etc... you will want something like this too so that an employer can have a quick overview of what you know and he can know right off the bat if your resume is worth looking over in more detail.

Seriously - the people who are going to be looking at your resume are busy and have tons of [censored] to do and tons of other resumes to look at. Your first goal should be to get their attention to the point where they'll be interested in taking more than 10 seconds to look at the rest of it. A good skill summary or a list of fact-based qualifications will get their attention, and then they'll move into the boring stuff and call you in for a chance to speak with you.

You have four years experience and a solid base to work with... take my advice and the advice of some other posters and you will have a very attention-grabbing resume. If you can get these people to do more than skim at your resume (which is what they're doing to everybody else's unless they find something interesting), then you'll be way the hell ahead.