Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME Day 1 Pocket Jacks

With 100 BBs, this is an easy 3-bet.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is everyone really considering flat calling a baby raise with JJ with ~100b??

I'd make it around around 3.5k and see how he likes his hand (if he rrs or not). We aren't putting him squarly on QQ+ are we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I would consider raising, but the OP said UTG is lible to push over the top to a reraise so I think the best play is to call and see what the flop brings you. If overs come on the flop you can get away cheaply.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 PM

I wouldn't discount that you're dead tired, and so is your opponent. Sometimes that makes for a weaker played hand by both, sometimes it's like, f' it, I'm so freaking tired, I'm all in.

I actually wouldn't fault you if decided to fold if you were dead tired and the night was about to end.

Personally, I'd try and use all this to my advantage, but I've been burned in these types of situations before when my mind (and my opponent's mind) were in less than stellar condition.

I think this is an easy 3 bet here given the deep stacks. Isolate that dude. If you get a favorable flop, you might end up getting his whole stack if the pot starts out big enough. I'd come over the top for 5K total.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is everyone really considering flat calling a baby raise with JJ with ~100b??

I'd make it around around 3.5k and see how he likes his hand (if he rrs or not). We aren't putting him squarly on QQ+ are we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I would consider raising, but the OP said UTG is lible to push over the top to a reraise so I think the best play is to call and see what the flop brings you. If overs come on the flop you can get away cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

If overs hit you have no momentum and throw the best hand away FAR too many times. I can't see him re-re-raising AQ or some such? If he does push I'd lean towards a fold, but I'm certainly all for the 3-bet.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 PM

I vote for the reraise as well. Eval from there.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:34 AM

Call
Old 08-04-2006, 04:05 AM

This really depends on how aggressive he is... If he is likely to pop you back, I would rather see a flop with him for the original price then having him repop me while I am holding JJ...

I had a similar situation on Day 2 (which is why I feel this way)... Loose and overly aggressive kid in mid position makes a std raise of 3x (1,500) at 250/500/100 level... I repop him w JJ in late position to 4,500... He instantly moves in for 42k, I have about 32k...

I ended up folding, b/c at the time I couldn't see how I was better than a coin flip... and possibly dominated... He pulled the same trick on another guy later on who called him w AK and the kid had 99. Of course the Kid's 99s hold and reward his overly aggressive play by adding another 30k in chips to his stack...

Based on seeing him play after the JJ hand, I am pretty sure if I just called him on the flop and hit a big hand - he would have doubled me up... Painfully for me, the table broke early - so my meal ticket was gone.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 AM

But then again.... Day 1 I was at a super tight table all day. A player I labeled as tight, makes a min raise to 400 (100/200 level) from MP1. It was a strange raise from him, and I decided he was either very strong or had some weak drawing hand that he was not that confortable with. so I repoped him to 950 w AQ from the button to see where I stood. I figured if he had a big PR, he would let me know based on his previous play. He thought forever and laid down JJ face up. I think the call vs. the repop are very dependednt on your read of the player. Will he lay an Ax hand or Kx hand down, is there a good chance he will come back over the top?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 AM

1200 at that hour looks like an attempt to pick up the antes... such a tiny raise. Go to 4k and see how he reacts. Remember, that's only 8bb. You gotta make these plays to take your stack from 50k to 80m at some point. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong and would love to hear why.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 AM

With stacks this deep, 3-bet for sure. If you had 30-40BB, cold call for sure...