Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: £1/2 - KQo faces 3-bet oop, top pair on flop WA/WB?

Against most TAGs my 3-bet range in this position is quite high.

I seriously think a flop c/r can twist Villain's arm into calling down with an underpair. Problem with the c/c,c/c,c or b/f line right now is Villain is going to be taking a lot of free cards on the turn that he would have called down with. We miss out on 1.5BB in this instances and let him value bet us to death when he's ahead of us.

Put me in the flop c/r camp.

-Caddy
Old 08-03-2006, 02:33 PM

This Tag has some respect for me, as he knows I'm a pretty straightforward Tag. I'm not sure what he would do with 88 vs a check-raise, but I think he will fold them a decent amount of the time. I definately think he would more often lead out the turn after me check-calling the flop than he would call my turn bet.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This Tag has some respect for me, as he knows I'm a pretty straightforward Tag. I'm not sure what he would do with 88 vs a check-raise, but I think he will fold them a decent amount of the time. I definately think he would more often lead out the turn after me check-calling the flop than he would call my turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you strongly believe that this tag will fold a lower pair to your checkraise, then you should go with your read and not checkraise the flop and play the WA/WB game. A read can change everything.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:53 PM

The idea of a WA/WB line came to me after this hand, so in the actual hand I c/red the flop. After reading your posts it seems this was not a bad play, but maybe not optimal against this player.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button re-raises</font>

Call down?

EDIT:
The only negative side I can think of is letting a FD get a freecard on turn, but I guess it's better than capping or donking the turn...
Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea of a WA/WB line came to me after this hand, so in the actual hand I c/red the flop. After reading your posts it seems this was not a bad play, but maybe not optimal against this player.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button re-raises</font>

Call down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call down cuz im a fish/showdown monkey who has never folded top pair HU in his life.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM

I probably call down, too. Even though villain is screaming at me that he has me crushed, I don't/can't fold TP2K.

[ QUOTE ]
The only negative side I can think of is letting a FD get a freecard on turn, but I guess it's better than capping or donking the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, villain could be on a flush draw and looking for a freebie (if I were in villain's shoes, I would 3-bet a FD here), but hey, he deserves it... he's got position. Any strategy by hero to prevent a free card is probably going to hurt more than it helps, because there are more combos of AA/KK/AK than suited diamond hands that 3-bet preflop.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM

fold to raise given read. I would c/c this down and donk the river.

True
Old 08-03-2006, 08:54 PM

That's so weird. I posted exactly the same hand a while back here
Old 08-03-2006, 09:54 PM

I haven't posted strat in a while so I'll take a crack at it.

I agree with Wookie that this is WA/WB. Yes, the TAGs range is much wider than in a FR game but that doesn't change the fact that TAG will likely release to a c/r if he has air or a lower PP. I know I would personally fold PPs here unless I feel I've been getting played with a lot by the c/r'er.

As for the turn play, I think if you decide to c/r this flop you have to be willing to release the turn after you get flop three bet. You describe him as not too aggro postflop so what does he 3-bet this flop with that you're beating? I wouldn't worry too much about a free card since there are really only two hands he could have here that have a fd (AQd, AJd, ATd is possible but a stretch from a 16 PFR imo)
Old 08-04-2006, 04:14 AM

C/R.