Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Haven\'t seen a good playalong for a while...sooted one-gap

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf is up with the raise? Anyway, I call and try to close the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, I thought I explained the thinking behind the raise. Feel free to disagree, but asking what I was doing when I already told you makes me think you didn't read my post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Anyway, I agree with everyone that after the 3-bet it's a call, and did so. Now what?

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Asterix The Gaul is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Asterix posts a blind of $1. MP3 posts a blind of $1. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Asterix (poster) raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, Asterix calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Asterix ?

(This will be picked back up in a couple of hours. This may be the most interesting decision in a hand that has a couple in it.)
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Pretty sure I spotted you at Canterbury this past weekend playing blackjack. How'd you do? Enjoy the heat?

... back to the playalong...
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM

Word, fellas:

I raise this crap PF as well. After the 3-bet, I put on Dashboard Confessional and cry. No, just kidding, I actually call. As for t3h flopz: I bet out here. Is this not the truly l33t play?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM

i used to always check this flop, but recently i've found that people cant resist continuing their preflop aggression on the flop. so i donk it up.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Would a c/r be too FPS here? Figure the 3-bettor is going to c-bet this most of the time.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (13.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Asterix ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check.

Betting is only going to slow overcards and maybe better nines, but not push anyone out. Even if CO obliges you with a raise, he may end up isolating you with a superior hand and you won't have the odds you need to draw out.

Also, a flop bet doesn't look very believable, while a c/r may look like the real deal.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM

I love playalongs.

1) I disagree with the raise preflop. I'd do this with less speculative hands like ATo,KJo,QJs,etc... but not a suited 1-gapper 9-high.

b) The flop is really interesting... it's a big pot now and we have a vulnerable hand at the moment. If we are behind, I count 2 outs to 9's, 2.5 outs to 7's (since the diamond might hinder our win), 1.5 outs to BDFD, and 0.5 outs to BDSD = 6.5 outs = 6:1. Even if you checked and it came 2 back to you, you'd have the odds to call here. That is, if you are actually behind.

Options:
! Betting out will not fold anybody with 3 outs behind you.
@ Check/raising the field would bloat the pot tremendously. I'd imagine it'd go UTG-c/You-c/MP3-c/CO-bets/UTG-calls/You-raise/(MP3-c or f)/(CO-3-bet or call). At most with the c/r we knock out MP3.
# Check/calling makes a lot more sense to me here... the pot is big and there's no real way to protect your hand on the flop by either c/r or betting out. We also are vulnerable to overcards or even domination with our pair of 9's. The only drawback is that if we check, it might be checked through and we give AK or whatever a free look at the turn! But, by checking, we have an added advantage of seeing the action before it gets back to us. Maybe we can set up a range of hands for everyone if we check and see how the action goes down after us. Given a nice turn, that's where I would try to make a move.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 PM

I don't think you see a better nine in this pot so often that it is a concern. And the CO could well do the field thinning (which is what a CR is meant to accomplish, no?) for you if you bet. If you check, the CO bets, and a couple players call, you haven't gained anything, but your hand is too good to fold. If you were EP I could see going for a check-raise here, but I think here betting out is a better stategy as the CR might well raise, and might even be so kind as to do it with UI overs.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the CO could well do the field thinning (which is what a CR is meant to accomplish, no?) for you if you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain what you mean by this sentence? I don't think a c/r is going to fold anyone but MP3 MAYBE (not likely)
Old 08-02-2006, 02:00 PM

I meant that if we were planning to check-raise here, the point of doing so was to thin the field (I guess, I could be totally wrong about that), not for value. And if that was the case, I figured that if you donk, the CO will often raise, thereby getting this field-thinning thing accomplished.