Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Verbal call versus putting in chips

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will add that the only place I have ever felt comfortable in doing the whole verbal thing is the Wynn, as their dealers and floor tend not put up with any angle shooting BS and will enforce a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This took place at the Wynn.

There would not be any way to dispute what I was doing (calling). There were 10 witnesses to me saying "call" or "I call" about 4 times to either the dealer or the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am surprised the dealer didn't just move the showdown along then. They are VERY good about enforcing verbal action. I had a guy try to back out of his AI call in a 5/10 a while back, getted very pissed off insitiing he did not call despite the dealer and 4 other players hearing it repeatedly then he tried to rack and run. He was made to pay up and get out.

Don't sweat it too much at the Wynn, but anywhere else you want to see those chips move into the pot, or at least a significant part of them. Just reverse the rolls with someone you have never seen and are likely to never see a again. Do want them calling with putting the chips/bills in the pot?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:54 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a gentleman that plays at Ceasar's IN who often makes verbal declarations and then uses the fact that English is not his primary language as an excuse to withdraw his action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe this post is written in the present tense.

If this room can't make this player's shenanigans a thing of the past, then they can consider my business to be "a thing of the past".

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows how to work the old "No speakee engrish" pretty well. Once he called his hand as "I pray the Board" and when he got called he showed a set. I spoke up and he said, "No I pray the boat, you know this is gambling boat. I pray on the boat!"

I management were to get tough, they would have to have some worry about him pushing his angleshoot to the max and filing discrimination charges. I could see an angleshooter trying to get some cash.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM

I posted the tale I was told at The Rio a while back. Floor people and dealers claim it's the reason they now force people to move chips rather than relying on verbal bets...

In a 2/5 game someone said "call" in response to an all-in. It was confirmed and they showed their cards, then the caller refused to put in his chips. They did not force him to...he was told he could either put in the money, or rack up and leave and never come back. He chose to leave. The reasoning given for letting him leave was that the cameras could prove nothing...he didn't move a chip, and after the fact was claiming he had NOT called, so they figured they'd have a tough time proving anything from just a he-said/he-said/dealer-heard episode.

The unconfirmed rumor is the Rio covered what the winner was stiffed. But they didn't want this getting around since they didn't necessarily want to be held responsible for such things in the future.

Despite this, I don't insist anybody move chips. I may ask for a double confirmation of the verbal declaration, but once I'm certain I've been called I'll show my cards. Maybe someday someone will try to stiff me, but I'll deal with that if it happens. Not worth slowing the game down and being nittly worrying about monsters under the bed.