Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Getting Health Insurance

FF,

I have gotten insurance a couple of times through the company mentioned earlier, ehealthinsurance.com. I've been very satisfied with them.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 AM

Guys,

ehealthinsurance only came up with one hit for NYC which was 300+ a month. All the other places didn't service NYC. Does anybody from NYC have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 AM

FF,

Isn't any amount less than 1,000 pretty much all the same to a baller like you? I didn't think you even worked in numbers smaller than that.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
assurant/ fortis. i researched lots on the subject

and unfortunately used it to the tune of 30 grand last year (back surgery). On the other hand for the 130/mo, i was quite happy i had it

[/ QUOTE ]

i just had to change health insurance providers and i went with assurant. they used to be affiliated with USAA.

anyways, for a healthy 22 year old it costs $94/month. that includes a dental/optical discount plan as well. 8 mil lifetime benefit, 2700 deductable with 80% copay up to $4,700.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assurant/ fortis. i researched lots on the subject

and unfortunately used it to the tune of 30 grand last year (back surgery). On the other hand for the 130/mo, i was quite happy i had it

[/ QUOTE ]

i just had to change health insurance providers and i went with assurant. they used to be affiliated with USAA.

anyways, for a healthy 22 year old it costs $94/month. that includes a dental/optical discount plan as well. 8 mil lifetime benefit, 2700 deductable with 80% copay up to $4,700.

[/ QUOTE ]

great topic... I just got denied by Assurant due to a pre-existing condition. The condition is Ankylosing Spondylitis, a stupid-ass back arthritis that I haven't had treated in years. In fact, the last time I had it treated was when I was diagnosed like 5+ years ago, given a prescription for anti-inflammatory medication, milked it 'cause I didn't need it all the time, and forgot about it.

then I went into working for myself and didn't pay COBRA because I was young and it was ridiculously expensive. Eventually got short-term medical through, you guessed it, Assurant (Fortis at the time).

things are all good and then I get married and my wife has a corporate job so I get covered under her. After a few years she gets the job she really wants but it doesn't offer insurance. Oh well, we'll tough it out... she was pregnant at the time but our son was covered under a state program, and he was all we really cared about at the time.

Well, our son turned 1 year old yesterday, and that was the official day of his state coverage running out. So, about a month ago we began looking at family plans. I've been denied due to my arthritis... wtf? i was covered for it as a pre-ex 5 years ago, haven't had treatment or anything in as many years, and they're still being all gay about it.

I have a rider now for the time being exluding the arthritis, but does anyone have suggestions for getting it covered eventually? I thought there was a 12 month waiting period for pre-ex's... I didn't know they could deny them entirely.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:36 PM

In most states, Blue Cross is a state mandated plan that is required to take you (I'm not sure about the preexisting conditions though). The coverage isnt great, but it would be fine for a young, healthy person protecting from catastropic injury.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Your pm box is full. Here\'s my response:

I took catastrophic. Which means $2550 a year comes from me. After that, they pay 100%

So most years, I spend less than 2500 on medical care, and the insurance does nothing for me. As I said, though, I was sure glad to have it last year when 30000 worth of doctors and surgery only cost me 2500 + the 160/mo.

I'm also 35. Similar coverage for you should be cheaper.

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/a...ceQuoteNow.htm

I never had any negative issues with them and have been told by numerous salespeople that this company is the best out there for individual health ins.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

ehealthinsurance only came up with one hit for NYC which was 300+ a month. All the other places didn't service NYC. Does anybody from NYC have any suggestions?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are signs all over the subways here for freelancer's union insurance or somethign like that. Try googling it. Their catch phrase is "Cheaper than Cobra, and less scarey sounding" or some crap.