Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Scrungy-ass top pair

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch:

Check-fold flop.

Flush draws are not going anywhere. Straight draws are not going anywhere. Our kicker isn't good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored] that. We're first to act and the only thing we now is that they didn't like their hands enough to raise preflop. Who's on a flush/straight draw? Why does anyone there need to have one of the two other tens?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:14 PM

we would of made the same decisions(raising the flop). So, that must be bad, since I am a total noob. As gregatron said, checking the flop is prolly the best play you can do.

BTW, this is no doubt a hard decision. You have the top pair, but it's still likely you'll be beat. What can you do? I would become a calling machine with this top pair... If a higher card hits draw, then I am quiting, if I maintain top pair.. "Operator, this is the operator speaking. How may I offer my service?"
Old 07-30-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grunch:

Check-fold flop.

Flush draws are not going anywhere. Straight draws are not going anywhere. Our kicker isn't good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored] that. We're first to act and the only thing we now is that they didn't like their hands enough to raise preflop. Who's on a flush/straight draw? Why does anyone there need to have one of the two other tens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then just go ahead, 3-bet the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grunch:

Check-fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While we don't necessarily put anyone on a hand that beats us yet, there are like a million limping hands that beat us and like 5 billion cards that can screw us over on the turn, but we're OOP and won't know which draws villains have if we get called.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:03 PM

While I sometimes lead out here, more often with TPNK from the blinds I like to check raise, and represent something better. If you check raise and lead out on this turn, your likely to only get raise by a better hand, which makes folding easy. If it gets checked thru and a blank comes I will lead out and likely get called by a worse hand thinking I would have bet TP on the flop. If a bad one hits the turn I likely just give up, and move on to the next hand.

I also don't like the 10 5. I would probably need to have more than just a suited piece of trash to complete here. Not saying I never do. Just don't care for this hand, and would probably need 10 7 to do so. I like to have the straight possiblity as well. Not just the suitedness. I don't know how poor your opponnents play, but it just doesn't seem worth it to see a flop.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grunch:

Check-fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]\

i think betting out here is very marginal, although i like it a lot, since it does serve to protect our hands, however after the raise there are cold callers on the flop... wtf? you are definitely in a situation with reverse implied odds, and the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] just totally did it for you, easy fold IMO
Old 07-30-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While we don't necessarily put anyone on a hand that beats us yet, there are like a million limping hands that beat us and like 5 billion cards that can screw us over on the turn, but we're OOP and won't know which draws villains have if we get called.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think this one is alot about reverse implied odds.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:06 PM

check raise LP bettor on flop, the way you played it, i fold to the flop raise. turn is an easy fold.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then just go ahead, 3-bet the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making a false dichotomy out of this. Just because I think we have too much hand to c/f doesn't mean I think I have the nuts.

I bet because a) I think I likely have the best hand (top freakin' pair!), b) I want overcards to fold, incorrectly or not, and c) I'm an overaggressive donk who autobets top pair and some middle pairs. Something I need to look into, I guess. Playout was kindof disheartening though:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Hero folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Hum.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting out with top pair? Won't I get hit by a bus?

[/ QUOTE ]

top pair with a 5 kicker on a flushy board? there are just too many turn and river cards that can hurt you. the fact that bb raised into 4 tells me he is stronger than you and having 2 cold callers worries me too.