Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Collectible card industry

Ruffneck your dead on. The market is oversaturated and you make a good point about ebay- the sellers cant control the prices anymore. I remeber when becket actually listed every brand and year ever made with no problems. Now there are a million freaking brands every year and one year takes up 15 pages.One of the reasons older cards are worth so much is because there werent that many produced and people didnt take good care of them. If everyone has 20 mint roger clemens cards they arent going to be worth as much.
My dad still has a lot of his older cards. He has a Mickey Mantle that he did math homework on. For the most part they are not in good condition at all. One excpetion is he has 4 Nolan Ryan rookie cards in mint condition because he is a Mets fan and always took good care of the Mets players cards.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM

I can just add that the best thing to do in the current sports card market is buy wax and hold it. I'm talking Bowman Chrome baseball specifically. The only thing that really holds its value or even has a chance of going up is rookie cards, and sealed boxes where you have a chance to get rookie cards. I really wanna post figures from ebay but the best examples I have right now are the Bowman Chrome products from 2001 and 2002. Each year bowman chrome comes out with "speculative" rookies, some more known then others. Each year it comes out its around the same price $60-70 RIGHT when it comes out. I've started to notice a trend that when the rookies hit it big these boxes skyrocket.

In 2001 Bowman Chrome came out and was like 70-80 Per box. Wanna know how much their going for now? Around $500 because of the chance of pulling Albert Pujols #1 rookie card from a box.

2002 Bowman Chrome came out and was even cheaper. Now with the emergence of Francisco Liriano and David Wright Boxes are around $220.

It seems like alot of them are like that. You have to be more picky with football and basketball. Lebron/Carmelo/Wade rookie class was a GOLDMINE for unopened basketball boxes.

So basically what I'm saying is Rookie cards are the way to go. Also... 2006 Bowman Chrome is coming out this month and I suggest investing some money into it as there are already some rookies in the major leagues and prices will initially shoot up and maybe even pick it up with september call ups.

Any more questions you can PM me.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:04 PM

Its true about what you say about the bowman chrome cards, but is it posisble that its basically another insert trend? I guess the idea would be to sell the boxes when they are hot which is always tough to gage.You dont wanna sell them when the players stock is rising but you dont wanna wait to long. I mean think how much Darry Strawberry and Doc Gooden rookie cards were going for in the late 80s.
Liriano could be a flash in the pan ( im sure zach dukes rookie cards were sky high when he started out 8-0 or whatever it was) but he could also be the next Koufax. The other problem is right now people want to Bowman Chrome's ( I havent been involved int he card industry in the last few years so Im taking your word on this) but that trend could also change.

Im also curious are you buyin a few boxes to put away or are you buying a bunch at wholesale prices?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its true about what you say about the bowman chrome cards, but is it posisble that its basically another insert trend? I guess the idea would be to sell the boxes when they are hot which is always tough to gage.You dont wanna sell them when the players stock is rising but you dont wanna wait to long. I mean think how much Darry Strawberry and Doc Gooden rookie cards were going for in the late 80s.
Liriano could be a flash in the pan ( im sure zach dukes rookie cards were sky high when he started out 8-0 or whatever it was) but he could also be the next Koufax. The other problem is right now people want to Bowman Chrome's ( I havent been involved int he card industry in the last few years so Im taking your word on this) but that trend could also change.

Im also curious are you buyin a few boxes to put away or are you buying a bunch at wholesale prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, RC are a COMPLETELY differnt thing then inserts. Rookie cards hold value more then inserts because as soon as their not "rookies" their inserts flood the market.

Pitchers are tough, theres so much of it around, but what you neglected to take into effect is the fact that out of the 2002 bowman chrome box that you can get liriano you can also get david wright and joe mauer, liriano is simply just driving the prices up. Liriano will cool down, but mauer and wright are around to stay and play every day.

As far as waiting to long, you have to figure a 100% gain on ANY investment is an awesome one. Bowman Chrome boxes are so cheap that even if they double you should be happy to sell and not think twice. I had 12 boxes of 2001 bowman chrome. I bought them when they first came out and paid like $70 per box. They hit $150, i sold half, then they hit $250 i sold the rest. I made a KILLING off this. Now their at 500 and if I would of held them of course i would be making even more, but I already more then tripled my investment, plus, pujols is really the only big name RC in that box. So unless you have the acutal card out of the product, you should worry about when or when not to hold on to the boxes because chances are the big name players card isnt in there.

My cardshop guy is amazing. He gives me great deals most of the time at COST. Meaning at what it costs him to buy them so he is making nothing. IT helps out alot. The best thing I can suggest for those of you who dont have a card shop around or know the guy (they usually oversell the price when the come out) Buy a Case of 2006 Bowman Chrome off ebay RIGHT NOW. The product isnt out yet so people arnt searching for it, but reputable dealers are selling them already on ebay (just make sure their feedback is good) When the product comes out they will ship it to you, and I suggest you actually leave the box it comes in sealed because even if one person makes it big you'll prolly make more off having the entire case sealed.....

Dont just do baseball either. I did hockey this year and it was AMAZING. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are like the lebron and wade of hockey. They drove prices up and they are going nowhere. If you can get any hockey I suggest that tooo....

If anyone has any specific questions my aim is burkoboy if you wanna talk
Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 AM

As sick as Pujols is there is no reason a wax box costs 500 dollars when I can buy a Nolan Ryan rookie for that price (just an example) They are effectivly insert cards in addtion to being rookie cards. He probly will end up in the HOF but its still too early to tell. Ill im you with some specific questions when Im awake and thanks for the info.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 AM

www.beckett.com

Their message boards are 100% the best resource on the net for all things sports cards.

Secondly, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my advice
Old 08-01-2006, 09:29 AM

ok I'm sorry I was lying. Their going for $550.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Bowman-Chrome-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-BOWMAN-CHROME-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

But look at what the pujols' are selling for
http://cgi.ebay.com/BGS-9-5-10-ALBERT-PU...1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-BOWMAN-CHROME-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

and

ding ding! 11k

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-BOWMAN-CHROME-A...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are effectivly insert cards in addtion to being rookie cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct even slightly. Go to ebay and type in "Pujols Auto" Look at what his autographs from 2001 are going for compared to his autographs from 2002-2006. They are still the same autograph correct? (lol- yes they are) But his rookie cards carry a premium because you can only get them for one year. Its the same with ANY player, ANY sport. Lebron/Wade is a really good example. Do some research on ebay you'll be surprised.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 AM

Im n ot disputing the prices. WHat I am saying is A Pujols rookie is going for 10 k when I can buy a Mickey Mantle for that price and we are in an era when these cards are being mass produced (correct me if Im wrong here maybe the Bowmans Chrome cards arent produced that much) Ten years from now Mantle is still going to me one of the greatest players ever, where Pujols may or may not be. This seems out of whack to me (Im `not saying what youre doing is a bad idea at all- I just havent been paying attention to the industry since about 2000 and just cant see them being a good long term investment)
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Before I continually hijack your thread OP, what exactly were you looking to do.