Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Playing tricksy vs. a rock w/ AA

is this even worth discussing? he has kings here so many times its not even funny...i instacall this
Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, just because you three bet pf doesn't mean that you have to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldn't be a 3-bet, it's a 4-bet and whether I push or not it pretty much tells villain I've got AA/KK. I'd really love to keep QQ/JJ/AK/AQ, etc. in the hand for a bit longer.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, what's with the minraise? You're not pushing him off any drawing hands (even though I don't think he has one)

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm NOT trying to get him to fold. I agree with you. He almost certainly isn't on a draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to thread hijack but is there somewhere I can find out what 6% entails? (ie, if I only raise AA-QQ and AK what % does that equal?) I understand people switch it up but I'm looking for a reference point.

[/ QUOTE ]

While it's never possible to know exactly which 6% of his hands he thinks are raise-worth, one trick I use is to look at the hands PokerStove selects. If you click on a player and go to the second tab (the on labeled "preflop"), you'll notice at the bottom that there's a box which shows the percentage of cards selected. You can change the number in that box and PS will automatically select the to cards which match that percent.

Keep in mind that PS is using mathematical criteria to make the selection. Villains are never so precise and some are outright contrary. I've got a note on one villain who I play against regularly. His PFR is only 4%, which is usually rather scary. But his PFR card selection is almost completely random (maybe he uses a timer or something), and he almost always slowplays AA/KK/AA. Instead he likes to raise with 52o and watch everyone fold. Maybe he gets a kick out of it.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this even worth discussing? he has kings here so many times its not even funny...i instacall this

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

It has been my experience in life (and I'm not talking about just poker here) that some of the biggest mistakes we make occur when we don't question our base assumptions. If you ever study slight-of-hand you'll learn that all magic depends on this tendency. You see the magician put a ball in his hand and you never question if the ball actually got there. The magician tells you to pick a card, and you never question your assumption that he doesn't know which card you picked (when in fact he knows EXACTLY which card it was).

My (final) decission on this hand seemed obvious. But, since I like to question my assumptions, I posted it to see if the call seemed obvious to everyone else. I've had some hands before where I did that and the results were quite.....educational [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2006, 02:08 PM

Kyri -

If you feel this is the only way to pay a big pot against this guy w/ A's, I think pf is fine.

Many people are overestimating how often this villian calls a PF push w/ Q's. Players like this will lay them down preflop.

I make the call and expect to see (KK, QQ, JJ, AJ) in that order.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:17 PM

And thats fine but there really is only one option in this situation and it isnt folding.

the only way anybody would ever fold this is if the villian flipped over his jacks and showed u otherwise you are going in everytime.

the only thing worth discussing would be your preflop but its fine based on the villian.

Post flop is one of the easier decisions you will have in poker. If its not easy then you need to examine your br to make sure ur deep enough and not scared to put money in. (not ripping on u just statin a common situation)
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM

I usually reraise preflop OOP in this spot against this villian, and expect him to push, or call.

As played there is 1 hand (JJ) in his range to really fear, and I don't think many tight villians would go $11 with this hand. Even so, he would have QQ or KK more often. Pretty easy call here, IMO.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Statwise he's 19/6/0.8 after 1200 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he probably has KK or QQ. Go all-in preflop and you'll probably get called by kings.

As played, call and pay off JJ, but your ahead of just about everything else. You even have a backdoor flush freeroll if he has AA.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Statwise he's 19/6/0.8 after 1200 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he probably has KK or QQ. Go all-in preflop and you'll probably get called by kings.

As played, call and pay off JJ, but your ahead of just about everything else. You even have a backdoor flush freeroll if he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe stacks are a little deep to push over the min-raise preflop, but he's SOOOO tight raising that he must have something that he's going to have a hard time getting rid of. At least re-raise to $45. No way he's dumping KK. He might even go all-in for your.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 PM

There better be streak marks on your monitor you are calling so fast.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:44 PM

I really like the hand, especially with you holding the A of hearts. He's putting you on a big draw and trying to shut you down with his KK, QQ 95% of the time. If he hit his jake then oh well.