Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: AQo in the BB

Good answer, and certainly an excellent general approach. In this particular hand, I was pretty sure I was either well ahead or buried. Either he had AK, a smaller A that had me reverse dominated, or a set OR he had a smaller A with unpaired kicker or underpair that didn't make a set. Throw in hands like KQ or QJs and I'm ahead against more of his hand range than I'm behind. So my thought in playing the hand was that since I was prepared to go all in for my small stack, and since he'd obviously call with the hands that beat me, I wanted to play in such a way as to ensure he'd also call with many of the hands I could beat.

Going all in on the flop might have led him to fold AJ -- so my question is would that be a better result than getting it all in on the turn with a c/r when he is pot committed. In this hand, it obviously was -- 2/3 of the money went in when I was a 3-1 favorite. However I played it so that there was basically no fold equity. So let's say he'll always call either way with the hands that beat me, but he'll only call 25% of the time with the hands I beat if I go all in on the flop. Which is the better way to play the hand, given these assumptions.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. So let's say he'll always call either way with the hands that beat me, but he'll only call 25% of the time with the hands I beat if I go all in on the flop. Which is the better way to play the hand, given these assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just seem to have a problem with the idea that you already know on the flop that you are already going all the way with this hand. This seems only realistic when you flop the nuts. This flop alos makes ur hand very vulnerable. If your intentions were to extract the most then calling the turn and leading the river has a better chance of getting more in the pot. But you would be f* if another flush card came. Like I said the idea that you are going all the way with this hand considering the board is genearlly a bad train of thought.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 PM

Remember, I only have $45 and the pot is already $25 when he bets the flop. Given my read that there are many worse hands my opponent can think are good here based on my play of the hand, I think folding is not the best choice. I guess I could simply raise him another $25 on the flop, but that only leaves me $13, so I'm effectively all in. Playing a small stack -- which is my preferred strategy as a relatively new n/l player -- I often decide to put it all in on the flop. Essentially, that's what I did in this hand when I called.