Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What % of time does best hand fold @ 300/600+?
<=20% 31 70.45%
40% 6 13.64%
60% 0 0%
>=80% 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: New grads - poker or job, and why?

[ QUOTE ]
I originally planned to go to Law School and be a lawyer, but the last few years have changed things. I have only 10 credits left on my Undergrad, and I can't really see myself doing anything besides poker in the near future. Law School/Being a Lawyer just seems like so much work, and it could take me in upwards of 10 years before I could probably make more money being a lawyer than playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely don't go to law school unless you really want to be a lawyer.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:24 PM

I graduated in May 2006. I started a job shortly after. Somestimes I wish I would have waited and maybe played pro poker for awhile. But with the future of online poker up in the air, I am glad I took the job. My boss is a nice guy and I enjoy going into work in the morning. Poker, on the other hand, provides some entertainment and side income. I am not presuured to play and can just relax if I have a tough day at work.

I am now confident I made the correct decision. I am happy with the way my life is going.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated college in 2005, and I've spent the past year splitting my time between research and playing poker professionally. I'm living in las vegas now playing poker for the entire summer, but in september, I'll be getting a full-time job, and poker will become nothing but a hobby and source of a little extra cash.

Basically, while I enjoy poker, I find that it is rarely intellectually challenging, and I'm frequently quite bored with it. The same situations come up time and time again, and even when you are forced to think of something new, it is still just a game, and the thought processes are so limited within the scope of the game. Creativity, relevance, and impact on the world are all lost when poker is your entire world.

Furthermore (and this is not a necessary evil, but it is a realistic one for many of us), poker has made me lazy. I don't take care of myself, I don't accomplish as much in any given day, etc. Basically, I don't like who I've become as a professional poker player.

I think a job should challenge you, inspire you, and create some utility in the world, in addition to being a vehicle to make money. Poker does none of those additional things for me, so that's why I'm leaving it for a real job. For now, it's management consulting, but soon after, law school, and then I have no idea where.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty spot on.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 PM

Graduated 2004, worked until April '06. While I am looking for a new job, poker has allowed me to be very picky about what I choose.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Graduated May 2005, played some poker and slacked until BR was mostly gone in November 2005, started a job as Sales and Marketing Associate in November 2005, decided in december it sucked and underpaid, kicked poker back into gear, quit job at March 2006, been playing since. So not a pro for a long time yet, but I've played online for a long time and know I'm a winning player and can easily match and surpass the 30k$ salary I was making. Planning on investing (either own business, or stocks) when extra money isn't needed for climbing up through the limits.

I have some cash in real estate as a backup, and might look into some new real estate projects in the future.

Basically, end of last year I didn't like poker, started working, decided that was more evil, and went back to poker. I did take future earnings and possible lost career into account. I figure I can "slack" for a year without it impacting career opportunities too much.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:11 AM

I will get a job or do grad school. Poker has been my only real source of income for the past 2 years, and for the brief periods of time when its been the only thing going on for me (summer breaks, etc) I've been really dissatisfied. I always seem to fall into a slump when I haven't had classes or anything going on and poker has been my only responsibility. I just don't think I would be happy with life as a professional player
Old 07-26-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated college in 2005, and I've spent the past year splitting my time between research and playing poker professionally. I'm living in las vegas now playing poker for the entire summer, but in september, I'll be getting a full-time job, and poker will become nothing but a hobby and source of a little extra cash.

Basically, while I enjoy poker, I find that it is rarely intellectually challenging, and I'm frequently quite bored with it. The same situations come up time and time again, and even when you are forced to think of something new, it is still just a game, and the thought processes are so limited within the scope of the game. Creativity, relevance, and impact on the world are all lost when poker is your entire world.

Furthermore (and this is not a necessary evil, but it is a realistic one for many of us), poker has made me lazy. I don't take care of myself, I don't accomplish as much in any given day, etc. Basically, I don't like who I've become as a professional poker player.

I think a job should challenge you, inspire you, and create some utility in the world, in addition to being a vehicle to make money. Poker does none of those additional things for me, so that's why I'm leaving it for a real job. For now, it's management consulting, but soon after, law school, and then I have no idea where.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to echo that this is a great post - I'm not sure what I want to do as a 2005 college graduate with a degree in nothing, but poker as a job sucks and while I don't yet hate the game, I don't want to become one of the people who do.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 AM

Well, Poker income is great, but it gets really boring. For recent grads, I'd recommend getting a job until your poker skills are at a level where you can play much fewer hours and spend time doing other things. No matter how much you love poker, you will hate 'grinding' within the first month, gtd.

Also, players who can't actively find social outlets without being put into them (college/job), you will find it extremely hard to find anything to do besides sitting with yourself.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM

i dont think that you can blame the mere inability you have to challenge yourself to become better at poker on the fact that it is just a game and will merely stay one. i play many many hours and i find that i am always constantly learning new things and how people work. i think you can learn more about life and people in poker if you teach yourself to THINK THE RIGHT WAY, instead of looking upon it as simply "i have the best hand, i raise".
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will get a job or do grad school. Poker has been my only real source of income for the past 2 years, and for the brief periods of time when its been the only thing going on for me (summer breaks, etc) I've been really dissatisfied. I always seem to fall into a slump when I haven't had classes or anything going on and poker has been my only responsibility. I just don't think I would be happy with life as a professional player

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly how i feel