Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM

Default Re: TPTK vs TAG, common situation

[ QUOTE ]
A guy with these stats I don't think is leading into a flop reraiser with a hand that doesn't beat top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

His stats aren't that impressive, he's much more Tight Passive than Tight Aggressive... For example, I'm a little more loose but similar and have an Agg of 3.5, and I'm not super aggressive...

This would make a PSB worrisome (if a passive bets into you), but a 1/2 PSB is just so weird...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he leads this turn, I think I am done here. A guy with these stats I don't think is leading into a flop reraiser with a hand that doesn't beat top pair. I may call up a 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot on the river, but I think it depends on villain and your image. If villain checks the river, I think you should be betting somewhere around 3/4 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah good info. see i was thinking of betting half pot on the river if it goes check/check, check.

i mean by that point we have to put him on a weaker K, and thats about it. vs someone like that i think calling a half pot bet (pot would be $120 or so) of $60 with KQ is much easier than seeing an opponent fire $90 into the pot. i might be wrong though. whatever you bet i guess it's pretty transparent of what you have, just comes down to thinking if there is a big difference between $60 and $90 there for the opponent.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're willing to throw away money to avoid feeling like an idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care about looking like an idiot, I'm just not sure if I'm good enough to get away from this hand by calling down and figuring out what all his bets mean.

Here is how the hand went:

Flop: ($28) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($58) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

River: ($118) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $72</font>, Hero...

Wouldn't most Kings here check to induce a bluff of some sort, or check/fold? A bet on the river is only for value, or a bluff, right? Vs this player I think it's a fold, anyone else? Problem is this same argument can be applied to when he bets the turn. Do you just have to figure people can fire 2 barrels somewhat frequently, but a 3rd barrel is very rare, and usually only from really good or really bad players in correct spots? I just hate call/call/fold on some of these boards although initially I thought it was the optimal way to play the hand (esp vs a semi aggro player). But from a pretty tight predictable, I'm not sure. Are you really inducing another bet or two out of a worse hand by just calling the flop? Would like to hear your answer Jamougha.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:43 AM

his range is small PP, Q-Js, K-Q, A-K, J-10s, JJ, I highly doubt QQ-AA,

the only hand that really worries me here is 10s, I agree with Payoff, reraise this flop
Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 AM

mk,

I think a small flop raise and checkbehind/value betting the river is a decent line against a tight player. However you shouldn't be 'sacrificing EV' by doing that, you should be doing it because you think it mazimises EV. If calling down is going to maximise EV then do that even if it means making mistakes.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 AM

I make it about 50 to go, if he pushes over the top, he has you. If he smooth calls, check the turn for pot control, but then hes probably gonna push the river. Quite a situation. I raise the flop and then see how the rest of the hand unfolds.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

mk,

I think a small flop raise and checkbehind/value betting the river is a decent line against a tight player. However you shouldn't be 'sacrificing EV' by doing that, you should be doing it because you think it mazimises EV. If calling down is going to maximise EV then do that even if it means making mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I probably shouldn't have said that. Although what may be the most +EV play for someone with more experience can be a lower +EV play for me, if that makes sense.

You're right though.

I think I like call/call vs a more aggressive opponent, but for a more tight/predictable I like the raise flop check behind line.

Still, what do you make of the river bet?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 AM

mk,

As played, call.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, what do you make of the river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't going crazy with KQ. Either you are chopping or he has you beat. I would fold.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 AM

MK-

WRT to your river play here, I think you're chopping at best and would comfortably fold.