Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Political Business Venture

waxie,

What are you bringing to the table here? I'm not doubting your ability, but all I got from that (especially the first idea) is, "They pool all their money together to pay me, and I'll do as I please."
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
waxie,

What are you bringing to the table here? I'm not doubting your ability, but all I got from that (especially the first idea) is, "They pool all their money together to pay me, and I'll do as I please."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be doing three things. First, I will be helping the campaigns with research and policy work. We'll be preparing white papers, talking points, and policy briefs. I can't overstate how few candidates in Philadelphia are actually prepared with this kind of stuff. All three campaigns can use the same materials (they are ideologically similar).

The second thing we will do is help candidates with earned media-- specifically we'll be helping them get op-eds and letters to the editor published in local newspapers. This is really my specialty. I’ve had my stuff published in dozens of major newspapers and everyone knows that this is my area of expertise. We’ll also be helping candidates with how they talk to the press/public.

Finally, we’ll focus on non-traditional media outlets. Essentially, this means that we will help campaigns reach out to progressive blogs. There is a very vibrant internet-activist community in our area and many candidates are just starting to realize how to reach out to this group. Bloggers and their readers tend to be very politically active and also donate a lot money—so it’s a very valuable resource.

All three of these things will not be handled professionally unless the campaigns hire us. I won't be doing whatever I please, but instead working from a very specificly defined set of parameters.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not worth my time to collect 1/3 of the money and give 1/3 of the facetime. They will be paying 1/3 of my cost, but only get about 1/4 of my time. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense for you but not for them, IMHO political consultants overate their own value.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer both you and Slider:

These campaigns wouldn't be able to afford any of my services on their own. It's simply not worth it for me to get paid a small amount to do this kind of work. Particularly because if you work for a campaign, they generally expect you to put in more hours then you are actually paid for.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Why aren't you doing traditional media?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will have other people who do this for them. Also, we'll be working from an office that is fairly far from the actual city where the campaign is taking place. Traditional media work requires a lot of work and the ability to be reached at any time.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will have other people who do this for them. Also, we'll be working from an office that is fairly far from the actual city where the campaign is taking place. Traditional media work requires a lot of work and the ability to be reached at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...this is what I've taken from this. Again, I'm not doubting your qualifications at what you do. First, you advise in the strategic phase (campaign points, etc...) What you're calling earned-media, I would call publicity. This combined with your non-traditional internet plan could be put under one umbrella title of "viral marketing." After this initial strategic consulting, you will manage this viral marketing, but not the traditional marketing. This, IMO, is a bad move for a candidate to make. It's not that you aren't qualified, or the other consultant isn't qualified. It's that you both might not be on the same page, and also it will cost more to use seperate consultants for the two different areas. I would strongly suggest learning to, and being capable of, managing the traditional media. It will make you more marketable, and make this venture much more lucrative.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
waxie,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be doing three things. First, I will be helping the campaigns with research and policy work. We'll be preparing white papers, talking points, and policy briefs. I can't overstate how few candidates in Philadelphia are actually prepared with this kind of stuff. All three campaigns can use the same materials (they are ideologically similar).

The second thing we will do is help candidates with earned media-- specifically we'll be helping them get op-eds and letters to the editor published in local newspapers. This is really my specialty. I’ve had my stuff published in dozens of major newspapers and everyone knows that this is my area of expertise. We’ll also be helping candidates with how they talk to the press/public.

Finally, we’ll focus on non-traditional media outlets. Essentially, this means that we will help campaigns reach out to progressive blogs. There is a very vibrant internet-activist community in our area and many candidates are just starting to realize how to reach out to this group. Bloggers and their readers tend to be very politically active and also donate a lot money—so it’s a very valuable resource.

All three of these things will not be handled professionally unless the campaigns hire us. I won't be doing whatever I please, but instead working from a very specificly defined set of parameters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a wicked idea assuming you have some connections to get things started. I think the union idea is much better and has more potential, since you can grow so much more that way. If you are just relying on campaign budgets you will be stuck with low fees and minimal work and not a lot of chance for growth. I would love to do something like this but have zero connections. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 AM

I think the union idea sounds like it has the potential to access more money. However, I am not 100% sure what you would be doing to support their interests. do you care to elaborate.

I was also interested in your knowledge of getting op-ed pieces published and the other promotional ideas you said you were knowledgeable about. do you have certain techniques or connections for this?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the union idea sounds like it has the potential to access more money. However, I am not 100% sure what you would be doing to support their interests. do you care to elaborate.

I was also interested in your knowledge of getting op-ed pieces published and the other promotional ideas you said you were knowledgeable about. do you have certain techniques or connections for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a really productive conversation with an offical from AFSCME (municipal workers) yesterday. She thought it was a good idea and suggested I put together a proposal.

Why is this a good idea for them? Well, it provides them with a mechanism to have influence over candidates after the endorsement process. It also encourages candidates who might not work together to share common themes-- around the issues that the union cares about. Also, unions can only make financial contributions up to a certian point. This project allows them to use other means to influence the political process.

To answer your second question: getting earned media, particularly op-eds and letters to the editor, is tough. You'd be amazed at how many people who are good writers can't write for popular consumption. When you're writing an op-ed, the key is to make only one point and make it well. You have to hammer your audience with a single theme or else the peice will lose focus. The same is true with letters to the editor, but they have to be even shorter. Many writers (particularly politicians!) feel stiffled by these limitations. However, if you're going to be published in a mainstream newspaper you've got learn how to trim your words and stay focused.

The other half is personal connections. Most of the editors in my media market are familar with my work, so if I send them stuff they will read it.