Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: My last 75-150 stud game

Hello,

MY apologies up front if this sounds harsh...

Given the way you played this hand, I don't recommend you play the $75-150 stud game again. It was played atrociously from the start...

It is obvious that you are not comfortable at that limit, and quite honestly if you are normally a $20-40 Hold'Em player, you have no business jumping right into a $75-150 stud game.

I know I have made mention in the past, of how the $75 stud players aren't the greatest at Foxwoods, but they aren't $1-3 players either... Discussing strategy in a $75-150 game while at the table is $1-3 amaturish, and I would recommend you stop this behavior immediately. Checking in the dark is $1-3 amaturish.... and I would recommend you stop that immediately.... ( particulary in a pot that size )

By the way, Bald John loves to be the table captain.. he is like that in every game he plays.. too bad too, cause he is actually a decent player...

Best of Luck..
Regards..

CJ
Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 PM

yes, that stud game has good money in it.. but dont be too confused. there are some really good players in that game.

first of all.. if you're seriously considering playing that game.. you need a huge bankroll.. ive had nights where ive gone up and down $8-$10K, it plays very differently from the 20/40 holdem game.

when you say you were getting the best of it, i think you are somewhat confused. if you were sure the guy had a flush already, you werent getting the best of it. and yes, he's probably right saying you should raise on 5th because you'll get a flush to slow down quite a bit when your door card pairs and you show aggression. to him, it looked like you hadnt filled yet and were patiently letting him bet into you without much thought about the hand, hoping to fill up. if you raise on 5th, most of the time he's not going to donk you on 6th, and youll get a free river card.. if he blind bets on the river you can raise if you fill and fold if you dont.. saving 1 bet. staring at the guys flush does nothing but show him that you are weak, and hes going to come at you all day long.

if you think a $3k swing is big in that game, you definitly need to step down. you can play the 20/40 stud game and make good money there as well, as the action is just as good at times if you have good game selection skills, and the ante structure is good as well.

i know a few guys that are friends of mine that play the 75 stud game who will tell you if you're uncomfortable swinging, its not the game for you. if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely no good reason to have this discussion.

And if he had just folded, I would have made 3 jacks on the board on 5th street, and the hand would have ended there, with me not making much $.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm
Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM

I should have been more clear in my original post.

I know I was not getting the best of it on 5th street (when he had 3 hearts showing and had the flush).

I was referring to 4th street, when I had 3 jacks and was looking at three 8s and a flush draw. At that point I was, without any doubt, getting the best of it, as the best hand either other player could possibly had had was three 10s or three 8s. No way I wasn't ahead at that time, and I still didn't like putting $600 in against two other players.

That's really why I think I shouldn't be playing that game. Even though I think some of the players there are just HORRIBLE I'm not comfortable capping it repeatedly with the best of it.

If, on the hand discussed, the 8 seat didn't catch his flush on 5th street I think I should have wanted to cap it again (adding another $1800 to the pot) against the flush draw and three 8s. But the truth is I wasn't that excited with the cap on 4th, and wouldn't have been on 5th either.

In contrast, if this was the $20/40 Hold'em game, I would have loved to cap on the flop with top set, cap again on the turn (as long as I knew I was ahead) and take my chances that I wouldn't get sucked out on the river. I'll pound any edge I have at the Hold'em game but the swings were too much for me to want to pound it at the 75/150 game.

Not sure if this made it more clear or less clear.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 AM

1.) I play at Foxwoods as well. Not quite at 75-150, but they are the softest stud games anywhere in the country. You can play like a robot and make money.

2.) I'm not sure why you want seat 2 to fold. He is behind you, he is putting money into the pot, and he does not have that great a chance of drawing out on you.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:01 AM

I would have to be really, really sure of my customer to lay down trips for one bet on the river in a big pot.

I think that a case can be made that if you can't put in your entire stack with a 1% edge, you're playing too big for your bankroll. Against a completely live flush draw and a smaller set, you've got better than 50% equity, and you're only putting in 1/3 of the money. This is a large edge, and it must be exploited. If you can't handle this, you definitely should not be in this game. Maybe you shouldn't play poker at all.

And don't tell people how badly they play. Ever. It is absolutely the worst thing you can do in a game. I suppose that defecating on the table or shooting someone would be worse (depends on whom you shoot). I've been seeing this on-line a lot lately, mostly in hold'em games, but in stud as well, and I just don't understand it. First off, calling people "idiot" or "donkey" or whatever is just plain rude. There's really no place for that in polite society. Second of all, do you want him to play better? He's making a mistake. His mistakes are what make you money. If players don't make mistakes, only the house and the dealers are making any money. Is this what you want? Maybe it somehow makes you feel better in the short term, although I honestly can't imagine how. Berating other players is -EV all the way around. Just don't do it. Talk about sports or women or drinking or something else instead.

Seems to me that Foxwoods' $20/40 stud game is pretty good.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 AM

You may come play at Foxwoods $20-$40 but only at a different table than me and only if you obtain my express written permission first.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 AM

Both of my sisters live in Connecticut, so I do make it out to Foxwoods once in a while. $20/40 stud is my game of choice while I'm there. I'm not this super-great player, and even if I were, having one very good player in the game shouldn't cut into your earn much if the others are playing badly. Besides, you'll be able to post about some of the boneheaded hands I play.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're damn right it can be pretty good. Last time I was down there (about 2 weeks ago), an asian gentleman sat at my 20/40 table with about 10 $500 chips and had to be shown how to post his ante...
Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're damn right it can be pretty good. Last time I was down there (about 2 weeks ago), an asian gentleman sat at my 20/40 table with about 10 $500 chips and had to be shown how to post his ante...

[/ QUOTE ]

Frappe, I can picture you: "Sir, could I interest you in a ball rub, or anything else to make you comforable right now?"