Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: NO MORE STATS POSTS

[ QUOTE ]
so much better than taking screenshots and asking to be spoonfed information

[/ QUOTE ]

jba, I LOVE the stats screenshots. I'm serious. I don't care about people's analysis of them, nor do often need anyone to analyze or comment on my own stats, though I've asked from time to time.

What I do instead is print those screen shots out and after I've accumulated a few I do a thorough examination of them in comparison to my own stats and try to form some conclusions about how to improve my game. I've been doing it for a long time, and it can help.

I don't need anybody to agree with my views. All I'm saying is can you respect them enough to understand how frustrating it is to see people discourage such posts when a member of this forum finds them very useful?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Unfortunately Benman, in the FAQ there is a link to "usual" levels. If someone needs someone else to point out their VPIP/PFR is 'wrong', they aren't reading that link first, like they should be doing.

At the moment we are being swamped with stat posts, with less than half surpassing the FAQs recommendation of >30k. Less than this number and they may as well be posted in BBV.

If you are using 20k samples to improve your game, you do not have a thorough conception of "the long run" and its impact on poker.

So I don't agree that 'no more stats posts' are the way to go. I *do* agree that there are too many being posted at either an insignificant sample, or by people who *fail* to read the FAQ and find out very simple answers to the questions they are asking. That is lazy.

So you can have your opinion, let others have theirs. Do you honestly believed if you had started a "LOTS MORE STATS POSTS" you would not have rebuttals too?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with posters asking about stats, but they clutter up the forum a bit. I think Wookie's thread that we used to have in Micros was nice to keep them all in the same thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one?

I agree with the sentiment that there are too many stats posts, especially those with sub-30k or even sub-50k sample sizes. It's not that people can't learn something from a stats examination at 10k hands. With that many hands, you'll have a good view of your VPIP, PFR, stealing and defense frequencies, aggression factors, etc. They're important. However, normal ranges for these stats have already been well documented, either in my post above or the one from the forum FAQ here posted earlier. Anyone before posting stats should be considerate enough to everyone here so as to have taken the time to read the readily available sources of the basic information. As for the stats I didn't bother discussing in my FAQ, they really take a much longer time to converge, or else they don't really say anything particularly relevant about your play. For example, the fact that you're check/raising less often than most players doesn't mean you should just start doing it more because's fun and what all the cool kids are doing. It means that you should consider your postflop play more, which you should be doing anyway by reading hand posts, and posting your own.

For a while in Micro, we had a "Designated Stats Post," where everyone was encouraged to dump their stat screen shots, rather than starting new threads. This kept a max of one stats post on the front page at a time, and it compiled a whole host of stats and stats commentary all in one place for people to reference. If there's interest, I can start that up here, but it's up to you guys.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM

if people are going to insist on posting <30k samples, then I agree that one place for them is good. the alternative is draconian banning, and I don't want that. I wanted moderation.

the problem with this is, if i'm not wrong, someone who doesn't read the FAQ to check their sample won't be the kind of person who will put their post into the designated stat thread, so you'll end up manually moving 90% of them, right?

EDIT: almost at 10k wook, keep it coming!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM

honestly why not read the tiger woods post, find discrepancies on your own, do some actual THINKING about why your stats has those anomalies, and post about that? at least then it would be interesting and might lead to something better than "oh you dont steal enough"
Old 07-25-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're trying to point out some irony in my statement--ie I'm criticizing others for their selfish dogmatism but ignoring it when it comes out of my own mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, that is exactly what I was trying to say... in a nicely packaged 3-letter form.

[ QUOTE ]
Any type of post that someone finds useful has its place.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where we disagree. I always have this curiosity about others' stats, but this is a strategy forum. There is no need for me to clutter up the forum with new threads titled, "What's a normal W$WSF" or "What VPIP/PFR are most of you guys". These are questions that have already been answered, and sometimes are in the FAQ. If not, I will just ask it in a relevant thread. But something as ridiculous as, "Hey, just finished my first 1k hands, need stat check" is so utterly stupid, and just a waste of forum space. I understand that some people could still use some help with their stats, so I think the idea of a single thread would work well for everyone.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:09 PM

lol, actually, i nominate this thread to be the single "stats thread" for posting in.

That's nicely ironic.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] stats posts

h8 these "im-so-cool-i-boss-u-around" posts
although im guilty of a couple in all honesty.

that said im doing the next "DONT RELY ON PAHUD STATS" thread in a month or so. i called it two months ago the last time it was posted.

l8r b4ch3s gagagaga tilt tilt tilt tilt tilt tilt tilt
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM

Steal more, defend more. Your aggression is too low, bet the river more.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steal more, defend more. Your aggression is too low, bet the river more.

[/ QUOTE ]

rinse, repeat.