Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: 400NL 6max: AK (top two) facing resistance

So I just switched from limit to NL a few days ago, and I have no post cred...but I'm certain you played this hand like ass.

1. As you already noted, you should be reraising AK here preflop. But you say you do this 95% of the time, so whatever.
2. IMO villain's range when he raises the flop is much larger than you think. AA, KK, TT and QJ are the only hands that are ahead of you, and of these, AA and KK are unlikely because you have AK, and QJ is somewhat unlikely because most players with pfr 9 do not raise 4x bb UTG with QJ. TT is definitely a possibility, but so is AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, and maybe something like A9-A7 spades. When you lead out on flop he correctly asesses that your range is huge on this draw heavy board. He is certainly not going to give you credit for a hand as strong as top 2, esp. given your passive preflop call. Thus he will certainly raise with a hand like AJ (especially if they are spades), which of course you are ahead of. I would probably threebet for value here (calling a push), since giving free cards on this board would be a disaster for you. However, calling and reevaluating on turn is not a bad move.
3. The turn completes no likely draws for villain, and he almost certainly didn't spike a set of 9s. He is still betting with his AQ/AJ/spades/gutshot whatever, this time as a semi bluff. Get your chips in and hope top two holds up.
4. If you and UTG were both really deepstacked (like, 1200 each), then folding that turn becomes a possibility, but the fact that UTG is a little short is even more reason to get your chips in now.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:23 PM

Default RESULTS

I'm convinced that a 3bet on the flop is the correct play.

As played however, I still have mixed feelings about the turn. I can't tell if this is results oriented thinking though, because in reality I c/r allin on the turn and was quickly called by a set of kings. I'd still like more opinions on the turn.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:47 PM

I think just calling the flop raise is fine, but you need to lead the turn, with the intention of folding to a raise. Check/folding the turn after calling the flop raise is stupid, and check/raising doesn't give you a chance to get away from it, even though you are very likely beat when he pots the blank/non-spade turn.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:59 PM

If he is 24/9 it's pretty safe to say he isn't raising QJ UTG. I'm worried about sets here if anything, mostly TTT with a slight chance of AAA/KKK. With that said, if you ever lead into a TAG who is the PFR like that you will often get raised with nothing (I know this because I do it all the time, and it's very effective). I would three bet this flop and call a push OR checkraise all in on a safe turn card. Seeing as how there are relatively few "safe" cards I'm three betting this on the flop. The way you played it you have to go broke with top two, folding is a sin.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 AM

weak weak weak weak weak, turn cr ai